RIP Robin Williams

Discussion in 'The Cocktail Lounge' started by wulfman, Aug 12, 2014.

1. wulfman

wulfman Guest

Was a great actor. Loved Doubtfire and Patch Adams. Reports say it was suicide.

2. obliviousme

obliviousme Member

This really makes me sad. He was such a funny and remarkable actor. My favorite movie of his is still Jumanji. The way he died though was so tragic. I believe he took his own life from what i read on twitter. My heart goes out to his family and friends.

Last edited: Aug 12, 2014
  3. RiderW

RiderW Member

It's such an awful thing. :( I wish he could have found the help he needed for his problems. It seems like a disproportionate amount of comedians die by suicide. Like there's a darkness that lurks underneath the humor that we all see. I wish the best for his family, especially his daughter. It seems like they had just recently mended their relationship and then this happens. :(

4. wulfman

wulfman Guest

he had substance abuse problems . in the 1980s with cocaine but after that alcohol. there is an interview where he describes addiction to diane sawyer and how bad it can be . addiction and depression go hand in hand.

5. WrestlinFan

WrestlinFan Active Member

That really sucks to hear. RIP

6. dianethare

dianethare Senior Investor

I always wonder, why don't these celebrities seek help when they go crazy?, thank God Amanda Bynes is alright, worried though about Shia LaBeouf, something strange must be happening in Cali....its just so sad to read/hear of such news, especially actors and actresses that one tends to love, i always watched and re-watched Mrs Doubtfire over and over, it was my best comedy movie back in the day, the last movie i saw that featured him was The Butler...R.I.P :(

Last edited: Aug 13, 2014
  7. Kate

Kate Senior Investor

Getting help is so very important when clinical depression is an issue. The first step is knowing how to recognize the symptoms. I think that's vital for family and friends to know, too, so they can possibly do something to help before it's too late.

Depression is not "sadness." I've done some crisis counseling work in the past, and you wouldn't believe how often someone tells a clinically depressed person to "just get happy and snap out of it." Totally clueless. :( It's not "going crazy" either... it's an illness that is brutal but there are treatments.

8. wvboarder

wvboarder Well-Known Member

I was so sad when I was hearing about this coming back from my recent hippie music festival. It happened while I was gone and had no Idea. It really sucks because he was a great actor. It hurts my soul to know that he had to take such a hard exit plan. Jumanji and Flubber were awesome and I watched them last night. I couldn't watch Patch Adams at all.

9. dianethare

dianethare Senior Investor

....am sorry, i didn't mean to say crazy....i just couldn't find the correct word for that, although i feel very sad for him, i catch on a feeling and an action of neglect for him by his own family from what am reading on search engines...thanks for clarifying fully what depression really entails, although can it be categorized in the same class as stress and which is more serious?

10. Kate

Kate Senior Investor

:D Not a problem, Diane... I didn't think you did. Some people really do think that, though, and I think that education about the topic is so important. For anyone who's never been clinically depressed, they really *do* think that depression is nothing more than "run of the mill sadness" and don't know a thing about it being a chemical imbalance, and so on.

It's not really the same as stress, no, although stress is part of it. Hmmm.... not sure how I want to say that. A person with depression will probably have stress, but people who have stress (most of us, I'd think) won't necessarily ever have true depression. (Again, not the "gee, I'm so depressed because my dog ran away" kind of sadness.)

A person suffering true depression doesn't *see* any hope, any light. No matter how many friends or family members try to help in whatever way they think will help, it just doesn't work for clinical depression because the person who has it can't process that there *is* hope.

Last edited: Aug 14, 2014