President Obama: "Americans 'can't give in to hysteria or fear' over Ebola."

Discussion in 'Politics Discussion' started by May102014, Oct 21, 2014.

1. May102014

May102014 Well-Known Member

President Obama recently told the American public not to give into the whole hysteria about Ebola. He went on to say that what we are witnessing with the few cases in America is not equivalent to a epidemic. The President also stated he wasn't giving into pressures to ban travelers from countries hardest hit by Ebola in Western Africa. So far at least 4500 people have died in the countries of Sierra Leone, Liberia and Guinea. I am a little skeptical of Ron Klain, the "Ebola Czar" he appointed as Klain is a lawyer based in Washington who isn't a medical expert. However, I do feel President Obama has a point about not giving into the fear mongering and stigmation of individuals located in Western Africa. What are your thoughts?

2. Investor

Investor Well-Known Member

His statement is all that he could say, if he had said anything else he would look like a joker, when a leader is faced with a tough issue, the first thing to do isn't to back down, it is to confront the problem, not banning people from Ebola ravished countries is not so smart though, unless there is a way that the authorities can detect a person with Ebola before he or she is allowed entry into the country, then by all means! give access, but I suspect that there are somethings in place because he if just makes such a blank statement with nothing to back it up then he's a good as dog food for the media.

3. Muthoni

Muthoni Guest

First we must agree that this disease is creating a lot of stress to so many people. The greatest problem with this disease is that it can be contracted easily though simple touching with an infected person. That said panicking will only make things worse and prevent infected persons from seeking help resulting in further spreading of the disease. People are so creative that they can still travel to banned locations if they want to.

4. Rainman

Rainman Senior Investor

Banning flights from Ebola-stricken regions would have been a step forward to containing the problem. In fact that shouldn't even start here, the countries affected should ban incoming and outgoing flights until they fix their issues. Of course people would disagree with that. They'd ask, how do they get aid? Simple. The U.S has 3,000 troops stationed in the area. Military aircraft be used to deliver aid. To me there seems to be a conspiracy to spread the disease.

5. Strykstar

Strykstar Well-Known Member

I think it's a good think to see Obama address this issue, it's a step in the right direction and it shows us that the Government is taking some measures to prevent further contagions.
    Of course that there needs to be some serious security measures raises to prevent more infected people coming into the country.

6. gmckee1985

gmckee1985 Senior Investor

This is a rare occassion where I actually agree with President Obama. That doesn't happen very often. I don't think people should be whipped up into a hysteria over this disease. Although it is bad, most of the damage it does is done in Africa. The likely hood of break out in the United States is pretty miniscule. As long as we cut down on the areas we saw made in Texas, the disease probably will not catch on here. That's important to remember amid all the news frenzy.

7. LuckyGirl08

LuckyGirl08 Guest

I'm glad that the President is taking action about this situation. I honestly feel that anyone traveling inside or outside the country should go through some medical test before entering the US. This would stop the chances of new diseases coming here and making the citizens scared.

8. gmckee1985

gmckee1985 Senior Investor

Unfortunately that's not very realistic. Testing everyone would require a ridiculous amount of extra workers and would really delay air travel to the point that it would be backed up for weeks, possibly. That's why I think we should ban anyone who has traveled to any of these Ebola stricken countries just to be safe. It's the only logical policy to implement, in my opinion.

9. dianethare

dianethare Senior Investor

Either way, stringent measures still need to be in place...am a bit skeptic as to why he is not banning travelers who are coming in from those hardest hit areas...it raises an inner debate within...let me rethink before i be rash to post something that might offset an avalanche in my direction!

10. ormaybeso

ormaybeso Well-Known Member

It's smart that he said that. These media companies love to overhype things to the point where nobody really knows why their scared, they just are. I remember seeing a comparison between how FOX News and CBC (I think) were reporting on Ebola and it's crazy to think how much fear mongering you see.