Віll Gаtеs: Аррlе Рау іs "fаntаstіс" аnd а "rеаl соntrіbutіоn"

Discussion in 'Stock Market Forum' started by JaneHansen, Oct 6, 2014.

1. Strykstar

Strykstar Well-Known Member

What a stellar endorsement for Apple, Gates really is on another level where he can simply throw a compliment to these guys and make the markets shift.

2. downloads

downloads Well-Known Member

This thing is though, it's very easy for him to say this because Microsoft has no competing products in this area. Bill Gates, who has very little affiliation with Microsoft these days, is vehemently anti-Apple products. He will not allow a Mac computer, iPod, iPhone, etc in his house and does not want his wife or daughter to use them. But Apple Pay really isn't an Apple-only product. As mentioned in the article all of the hardware and software installed at the retailers are not proprietary to Apple. All Apple Pay really does is allow the iPhone 6 and upcoming Apple Watch to tap into those Point of Sales systems. Other NFC devices can also tap into these very same POS systems, including Microsoft if they choose to go into this. Google has the same thing for Android.

The really good news about Apple Pay is the very large Apple customer base it brings into NFC payments. Google/Android have had NFC payments for a while, but it never really took off. There wasn't a huge customer base, there weren't that many people that wanted to use NFC, therefore the retailers and payment services industry never really took off. But not with millions of additional Apple users coming into the game, these guys are going to make sure they have their POS systems set up for NFC. Again, because it's not proprietary to Apple, everyone benefits from this: retailers will install these systems so that Google, Microsoft, and Apple can use them. All Apple did was add a ton a fuel to the small fire that was NFC payments.

3. turt

turt Guest

I'd assume this helps Microsoft by opening up everyone to digital payments. Google couldn't do it alone but large companies seem to follow Apple much more since their customers usually spend more money.

4. cameronpalte

cameronpalte Well-Known Member

I don't think this helps microsoft much but its interesting to see how he still shows how honest and caring he is about the actual world and how he talks about and mentions a good product when he sees it even if it is not something from his company.

5. jason

jason Guest

I agree, cameronpalte. It's nice to hear a complement even if he doesn't have a dog in the race. I think apple pay is a great service too. I am excited to try it out soon. I have tried other similar products but stopped using them all for one reason or another.

6. Gelsemium

Gelsemium Senior Investor

I feel that everyone knows that digital payments are the present and future, so good move from Apple.

7. Strykstar

Strykstar Well-Known Member

While I agree that digital payments are the way of the future, there's no way I'm entrusting my payment information to Apple, not after all the personal data they leaked last month.
    Great idea. Bad timing.

8. Determined2014

Determined2014 Guest

Microsft should tighten their seatbelts and try and pick up at their speed, because Apple is not going to give them a chance, seems like micosoft has been stagnant for a while.

9. caparica007

caparica007 Well-Known Member

This makes some sense, their hardest challenge will be to make people trust them their bank information, it won't be easy.

10. jason

jason Guest

I understand the sentiment but these have very different security systems. The leak was some sort of internal icloud storage problem. Apple pay will encrypt each transaction with a unique identification code. It's actually safer than using a card because the seller/retailer/server/etc will never even see your card number to misuse it.