10 seconds to cancel an e-mail

Discussion in 'The Cocktail Lounge' started by Sunflogun, May 22, 2015.

1. Sunflogun

Sunflogun Well-Known Member

I was just reading on the news that gmail as a new functionality that we can activate that will give us 10 seconds to cancel an e-mail we have just sent. I don't know, does this make any sense? Why would I want to cancel something I've just sent?

2. pwarbi

pwarbi Senior Investor

I think this could come in very handy. I know I for one have clicked on the wrong email address and pressed send, only to realise it's gone to the wrong recipients.

To be able to recall that email would definitely be a good thing. I'm not sure about the ten seconds though, I think people might need a bit longer to notice the mistake and then recall it.

I know that email is supposed to be instant but I'm sure people wouldn't mind a twenty or thirty second delay, if it meant they had the option to retrieve it etc

3. dianethare

dianethare Senior Investor

That's amazing, thank you @Sunflogun for that information, i had no clue, i like using gmail most of the time, so that new functionality will sure come in handy...hmm Google out-does it again :)

4. Fredrick Jones

Fredrick Jones Well-Known Member

It might come in useful, but the function only is available for 10 seconds ? Usually I alway check and double check to make sure that I am sending things to the right place. But people have accidentally sent me things they did not mean to and some of the things where a little embarrassing. So probably a good idea for those who click before they think.

5. crimsonghost747

crimsonghost747 Senior Investor

Hmm.. not a bad idea at all. 10 seconds is short, but usually enough I think. Making it longer would just delay that email going through and delays in the matter of minutes would get really annoying really fast.

Though I double and triple check I've still made a few mistakes. And 99% of the mistakes you realise a fraction of a second after pressing the send button.

6. CarpeNemo

CarpeNemo Well-Known Member

It wouldn't be that hard of a thing to implement. If anything, it's something that would be far more handy on a cell phone - and app makers, listen up. You could write an app that takes over SMS control on the phone, and implement this timer. After clicking send, a fifteen second timer would count down and a big red X appears when the send button was. Clicking it cancels the message. That's all it would need - and you could easily make a few dollars by putting in an ad-supported version, and a $0.99 upgrade to ad-free.

7. gracer

gracer Senior Investor

That's good news for me since I'm a gmail user. I think 10 seconds won't hurt in the fast delivery of e-mails. I always make sure that my emails reach the right person most of the time but that option you mentioned could actually help just in case I would accidentally send the wrong email to the wrong person. It could be embarrasing at times especially if the email you send is supposed to be a personal one and you sent it to someone you only email professionally. I have had my own share of receiving wrong emails too and it could be surprising at times.

8. Rainman

Rainman Senior Investor

Ten seconds isn't long enough. How long does it take for someone to change their mind, that they no longer want to send the email they've just composed? I think this new functionality targets only those who send emails to the wrong address. You hit send only to realize that you sent the email to the wrong people but now . . . you can cancel it immediately. It's great.

9. Rosyrain

Rosyrain Senior Investor

10 seconds is way to short of a time period to be able to cancel an email. I think it should be extended to a minute. I have send emails out in the past that I wish I could have recalled. Sometimes I notice a horrible mispelling, or sent the email to the wrong person. The ability to cancel an email is a step in the right direction.

10. rightct

rightct Well-Known Member

Unfortunately I don't have any account with Gmail, but I'm definitely interested in seeing such feature being implemented in other e-mail providers, too. In the meantime, I'm going to make an account with them, who knows... they might turn out to be the best I've ever used, haha. ;) ;) ;)
    Thanks for sharing!