10 seconds to cancel an e-mail

Discussion in 'The Cocktail Lounge' started by Sunflogun, May 22, 2015.

1. Calamity

Calamity Member

I can't count the number of times I've been sent partial emails because the sender accidentally hit send. 10 seconds to cancel an Email would be a wonderful addition to any email service. It would be very convenient, but of course I won't say that it's essential because if you're careful enough you shouldn't end up sending a draft. Personally, I don't frequently make such an error, but it still would be a nice feature to have, and I don't think that anyone would complain about having such option. Though where it is most needed would be the ability to cancel a text message within one second, but that's more a personal issue. Haha. Either way if Google did add such a feature it would be a nice addition.

2. missbishi

missbishi Well-Known Member

It's a nifty little feature, similar to the "message recall" feature in Outlook but 10 seconds really isn't enough. 30-60 seconds would be better, especially for those with limited movement or other special needs.

3. niiro17

niiro17 Well-Known Member

Well, that's a good news. I always get messed up by sending emails that I didn't meant to or not complete. Thanks for the heads up.

4. hijin

hijin Guest

Wow, if this is true, then I hope it is true! There really are times when we send the email to a wrong recipient. That 10-second help is great. However, does Google have a button like "10-second cancel" or something?

On the other hand, I think 10 seconds is just too short. How about a minute e-mail cancel? That sure will work great for an email that you have sent to numerous recipients, but then you decided not send the e-mail to two contacts.

5. Sunflogun

Sunflogun Well-Known Member

I think that this feature has been around for some years now (?), but most people are unaware of it? :D Technology is something nice, I don't know why they came up with this idea, but I didn't have the need for it until now.

6. JoshPosh

JoshPosh Guest

Actually that can come in handy. Sometimes I might have forward it to the wrong person. And if you sent something that had riske or important info, having 10 seconds to stop it from being sent is going to save you butt.

7. Yosh

Yosh Well-Known Member

I can definitely see this being handy. I've often sent emails accidentally without attaching an attachment or signing the email. It would be a great way to avoid that!

8. L_B

L_B Well-Known Member

I think it is a great start but I would like to see it being more then 10 seconds. How many times have you sent an email only to regret it later? I would also like to be able to see if they read it or not. It would be nice to have the option to cancel an email right up to the point of where it has been read. The 10 seconds is great if you accidentally send the email to the wrong person and realize it as soon as you hit send. I have done that on a number of different occasions.

9. ingeniosi

ingeniosi New Member

That's pretty cool - I got into the habit of putting the recipient's e-mail addresses in LAST to avoid that issue!

But having 10 seconds to recall it after... Why not? It sounds like a pretty good feature to have just in case. We've all had problems once or twice where the wrong e-mails got sent out.

10. meka0703

meka0703 New Member

I love the idea of being able to retrieve an email before it was sent. I can remember a few times in my life where I have sent emails and then seconds later wish I hadn't. I actually just enabled this feature on my gmail last week after reading about it. One reason that you may want to recall an email is if you noticed that you replied to all instead of a particular person. Also, you could have sent the email quickly before you thought about it and decided to retrieve it for further reflection. Now if they could only make a retrieval system for text messages all would be right with the world.