185 Countries Guarantee Paid Family Leave; The 3 that don’t: Papua New Guinea, Oman and U.S.

Discussion in 'Politics Discussion' started by ash2014uk, Jun 28, 2014.

1. JR Ewing

JR Ewing Super Moderator Staff Member

Nothing is "free" - somebody somewhere is paying for it.

2. gmckee1985

gmckee1985 Senior Investor

Don't think it's in the best interests in America as a whole for workers to be guaranteed paid family leave. I wouldn't mind individual companies deciding to provide it for their workers, and many do, by choice. By in general I'm against government mandating things on business. We have an over regulated economy as it is, and that's hurting the country in terms of job and income growth. This would just be another needless, costly regulation that some businesses wouldn't be able to afford.

3. dianethare

dianethare Senior Investor

I was thinking that President Obama removed US from that list ?! or its still up for debate?! Thanks to Republicans we are yet to hear of good news in that regard, which somehow look elusive :(.

4. gmckee1985

gmckee1985 Senior Investor

Why should the government mandate such a thing? People can decide if they want to work for a company that provides it. Or maybe they don't want the guaranteed leave. We should leave it up to choice. People can decide where they want to work in a free market economy. No government force is necessary.

5. JR Ewing

Agreed. Without trying to offend anyone, it's obvious how Obama got elected twice - so many people don't see the big picture and think and vote with their emotions. Republicans are "bad guys" because they're not likely to use the force of law to make companies (most of them small businesses just getting by) pay for employee time off?

6. Thejamal

Thejamal Guest

Unfortunately, my voting age bracket (18-27) got him elected twice. I believe in both elections, he absolutely crushed the republican candidate with the youth vote. And the 18-27 age bracket voted for Obama solely on social issues. While I think those are important and should be determined when voting, it infuriates me when I ask some people on Facebook or in school why the voted for Obama and they say "He's for marriage equality." But I ask them about the ACA and they don't have a single thing to say about it or know anything whatsoever about it.

If someone votes for Obama and understands what his economic policies, foreign policies, etc are all about, then fine, I can respect that. I think the vote is dumb, but at least the person is making an informed decision about what they're voting for. It's the ignorant votes that get me.

7. Profit5500

Profit5500 Senior Investor

So as long as the place I work in has around 50 employees which I guess it can be state, local, and federal then I can have paid family leave? If I am self-employed and only have myself and a dozen others then paid family leave would not really happen then. It is disappointing when some benefits are not received in certain places.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 8, 2016
  8. JR Ewing

It doesn't help that much of the media is heavily biased in favor of the left, and especially in favor of minority and female politicians and other public figures.

9. Kate

Kate Senior Investor

Well thought-out post, Thejamal. I think you're right... we are suffering so much because the young idealist voters bought into (twice, that makes it even more shocking) the empty promises and manipulation.

Now here's the thing they never seem to think about... I'm sure there are *MANY* candidates who would "be for marriage equality." But the difference is that hopefully those other people would deal with that issue separately and not flush the country down the toilet with all the horrible things that are happening.

It's like brainwashing that they can't see *past* the marriage equality thing (like you mentioned ACA) and see what's happening to America. I just have to hope that when the collective light bulb goes off and they finally "get it" that it won't be too late.

10. Kate

Kate Senior Investor

Wouldn't it be somethin' if the sheeples who base opinion on something like media bias would start to {GASP!} gather data on their own and actually {shocking, I know!) **THINK**??? :mad: