6 of the best investing podcasts to follow

Discussion in 'Trade Journals & Stock Tips' started by baudwalk, Nov 6, 2015.

1. baudwalk

baudwalk Senior Investor

http://www.businessinsider.com/6-personal-finance-podcasts-to-follow-2015-11
    I've never been a fan of podcasts since they came on the scene more than a decade ago. When I was working, I never found the time to dive into all the material out there on the net. That said, this article is enthusiastically written and attracted my attention. I haven't listened to the podcasts yet, but the descriptions sound interesting. Let's have your feedback if you opt to give them a go. HTH. YMMV.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 8, 2016
  2. baudwalk

baudwalk Senior Investor

I apologize to Android users for recommending this article. The first podcast is listenable, but the rest are on silly Apple "iTunes" with a few additionally on Skitchers (that has terrible reviews in the Play Store). Waste of time...

3. Onionman

Onionman Senior Investor

I'm going to have a listen to one or two of them. I'm also not a major fan of podcasts (it's not really my favored learning modality), but I want to expand beyond my same old, same old reference points. As a result, I'll see whether I can glean a bit of value from them. I've probably blocked myself off of a lot of useful stuff. You never know.

4. gracer

gracer Senior Investor

This is nice to know. I'm just a starter when it comes to Apple apps and Podcasting but since I'm currently exploring my luck in investment and growing my money, I might as well try this Podcast recommendation. I have been searching all over for the right tips and trends in investing so being able to read this thread is also an additional icing on the cake for me.

5. Sacrificed

Sacrificed New Member

If you're looking for some broader financial Podcasts, I would recommend the following:

Econtalk from The Library of Economics and Liberty
    Planet Money from NPR
    Slate Money from Slate
    Marketplace from NPR

Econtalk is probably my favorite of the bunch. It dives into a lot of different topics in a technical way that tries to tie everything back to Economics. Ross Roberts, the host, is a natural born teacher and finds away to make people understand the most arcane of techno-babble.

6. Lynk

Lynk Member

I'm surprised to see you all so negative on podcasts! I think they are a great source for free information and entertainment. I haven't looked into any investing podcasts yet but I will definitely check out these recommendations. I like to listen to the top rated podcasts in each category on iTunes, this is a great way to find both educational and fun content. I'd love to listen to some investing podcasts!

7. SandyM

SandyM Well-Known Member

I would recommend Econtalk and Slate Money as well. It's a great overall reference for beginners. I would also recommend Kiplinger (the podcasts, site, and the magazine itself) for anyone wanting to get thorough investing knowledge. Kiplinger isn't discussed as much but I've found it to be fantastic. A great way to get an overview as well as hidden / esoteric tips.

8. baudwalk

baudwalk Senior Investor

I'm not opposed to podcasts. I'm annoyed that so many podcasts and websites are locked into ecosystems unavailable to all. PC (Windows and Mac and a few Linux) sales are flat at best, if not declining. Portability means tablets and smartphone. By definition that includes Android and iOS, with a very small percentage of Windows. Web site design should move to, in my opinion, HTML5/CSS3 standards (including media controls) that work properly across all platforms and operating systems should be implemented. HTML5/CSS3 was introduced several years ago, and is stable. Proprietary Flash and Silverlight coding should be scrapped as those plug-ins don"t play in the portable world. In the world of business/investing web sites CNBC is the worst offender requiring portable users to have iOS tablets and phones; there is no support for Android. My requests and suggestions sent over the years to CNBC customer support have been completely ignored; stock reponse is "we are working on it". I understand Apple and Alphabet/Google are in competition, but the implementation of HTML5/CSS3 would go a long ways to mitigating the annoyances described. And notably, no hardware has to redesigned or reenginered. All of this could be done with a Web page rewrite. (I dumped Dreamweaver with my PC, and with Android reverted back to a text editor QuickEdit Pro and FtpCafe to transport pages to/from my web site.)

9. anders

anders Well-Known Member

I generally approach podcasts and other "magazine" style publications just as I would any other source. You might pick up some decent knowledge, but you have to filter out the "noise-to-signal" ratio too. It's whether the time listening to - or reading - these things is worth compared to what you get in return. Always glad to get a recommendation about good stuff though.

10. kgord

kgord Senior Investor

I am just wondering if there are financial talks available on Ted talks as well. I think there platform may be easier for all to access. I haven't used my ipod in so long...I could though...I just have to really be careful of what I download around here as my internet is not unlimited. That is a real problem actually. However, financial talks or investment advice would be something I would be interested in listening to.