Results of a survey released by bankrate.com revealed that more than 70 million Americans have no emergency savings. Bad as that sounds it gets worse. Only 22% of Americans have at least 6 months of emergency savings. So the other 78% aren't in that safety zone either. When emergencies do arise and they often do, it means that 78% of Americans will rely on credit cards to make it the next payday or they'll take out loans. Since they have to repay the loans and debts, they won't save any money when they get their paychecks. And it gets to be a vicious cycle . . .