70 million Americans teetering on edge of financial ruin

Discussion in 'The Cocktail Lounge' started by Rainman, Jun 25, 2015.

1. Rainman

Rainman Senior Investor

I suppose it's possible for someone to live on $30K a year. Most however would not change their lifestyles because they'd have to cut out a lot of "luxuries" which they've got used to. If someone is willing to make the sacrifices and buy only what they need then they could save a decent amount of money which will get them financial security eventually. Many frugal people live on less than $40K a year.

2. Waltbryant

Waltbryant New Member

How many people do you know that keep a budget? Certainly not the 70 million who have no savings. We live in a society that wants everything. They blow their money on non essentials and abuse credit. Living beyond their means and trying to keep up with the neighbors. They can't afford insurance, but own the latest ****** and stop at Starbucks every morning. I refuse to be a slave to the lender, even if that means giving up a Starbucks coffee or the latest gadget. There is no better feeling than being debt free with a few dollars in the bank, and its achievable for most Americans.

3. Rosyrain

Rosyrain Senior Investor

Some of us are still trying to catch up from the financial problems we had during the last recession. Many more people have jobs now, but the jobs are paying less than the previous ones we had and lost. I know that I am still trying to pay off bills that we had during the recession despite the fact that our family has 2 incomes once again. I agree that we are not better off in the jyst of things.

4. L_B

L_B Well-Known Member

It is difficult for people so save money with the economy today. The cost of living is so high and a lot of people are trying to survive on minimum wage jobs. There are households were both partners work but it is still hard to make ends meet. In my household I am the sole bread earner. My partner had not been able to work for sometime now due to health issues. We get by but if I were to lose my job we would be in ruins. It takes all I make just to pay my rent, utilities, food, etc. We barely make it pay check to pay check. It scares me as I near retirement age. I have been with my job for almost 30 years now and my wages are not much more then what people are making starting out now.