A 40 Day Fast?

Discussion in 'The Cocktail Lounge' started by Rainman, Aug 16, 2015.

1. Rainman

Rainman Senior Investor

It probably might no be a great idea any more. A man who was attempting this 40 day fast died on the 30th day. But it could be that the man was just unlucky because I've heard some preachers boast that they've managed to fast for 40 days and 40 nights.

What do you guys think? Can someone live without food and water for 40 days?

2. JoshPosh

JoshPosh Guest

Now are you talking about a absolute fast where you don't eat or drink anything for a certain amount of time? The longest human body can go without water is 72 hours. It can go without food for 21 days. If you go without water for 72 hours your body will start to shut down and kidney failure could set in. As for food, we'll the body will cannibalize itself due to the lack of calories and body fat.

So it must of not been a absolute fast if he made it to 30 days.

3. crimsonghost747

crimsonghost747 Senior Investor

Yeah you will die after a few days of no water. That is just a fact, you will not survive. Going 40 days without food... I guess for some people that could be doable. I don't see any sense in trying it though, what's the point? Some crazy religious "challenge" again? It's just a stupid thing to even try, our bodies need nutrition so why deprive your body of what it needs to be healthy?

4. PipCurrencies

PipCurrencies Well-Known Member

Until a bush literally burns, the voice of God literally speaks from it, and the 9 U.S. Supreme Court Justices are there to witness the fact, I say it is probably best to avoid the 40 day fast.

But maybe that's just me, I like donuts.

5. pwarbi

pwarbi Senior Investor

While I'm sure it has been done successfully in the past, it's certainly not something to be recommended, no matter if it is due to any religious reasons you might have.

I'm sure any medical professionals, and I'm not by the way, wouldn't recommend a fast for as long as this for whatever reason.

6. TheApollonian

TheApollonian Well-Known Member

The 40 days and 40 nights fasting shouldn't be taken too literally. It just means you reduce eating meat, partaking in sexual activities and reflect on the blessings you received because truth be told no one can live that long without eating or drinking. Meditation is also a big part of it. The Spiritual Exercises of Saint Ignatius is something some Christians also do that was inspired by the 40 days of Jesus in the desert and it's basically fasting, prayer and meditation.

7. Corzhens

Corzhens Senior Investor

Fasting originated from religious traditions. And we know that mere faith will not get you through that 40 days of fasting. Doctors have been saying from time to time that fasting is really bad for the health since it abuses the body. The end result is feeding the dehydrated body that sometimes causes indigestion and other health problems connected to the digestive system. And going without food for a period of more than 1 week is like going on a suicide mission.

8. AtlantaSports

AtlantaSports Senior Investor

You have to drink water. You'll die without having fluids in your body. That's just a fact.

9. kgord

kgord Senior Investor

Yeah, if you want to die. I don't think humans are designed to go for more than 3 days without water. I think any preacher who says he went without water for 40 days is lying. I simply don't think it is possible. Even if you could live through it, it would be extremely unhealthy. It would not be good for the body at all. I wouldnt suggest anyone attempt it.

10. JoshPosh

JoshPosh Guest

Why do you have to suffer just to prove your worth and dedication to a god or religion? That just sounds stupid to me. Can't you just go to church, say your prayers, and live by the code, and be saved. Why is it that you have to go through pain and discomfort to show that you belong on the "good side"?