A Germanwings flight crashed into the Alps

Discussion in 'The Cocktail Lounge' started by queenbellevue, Mar 25, 2015.

1. queenbellevue

queenbellevue Well-Known Member

2. Gelsemium

Gelsemium Senior Investor

Yes, 50 people are dead, 44 passengers and 6 crew members, I do wonder why plane crashes are more and more frequent...

3. Strykstar

Strykstar Well-Known Member

I know what you mean Gelsemium, I don't know if we're having more plane crashes or if we are just living in a more connected world and are more aware of these tragedies...
    As for the cause, I read it was a fairly old plane, right?

4. Rainman

Rainman Senior Investor

There have been to many crashes of late. There have been many accidents in the past but we never got to hear about them but these days [because of social media] when something happens the possibility of more people hearing about it is much higher. Some facts:

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2014/jul/24/how-common-are-plane-crashes
    "There were 490 deaths in 2011 and a total of 92 accidents. There was a much higher figure of 786 fatalities in 2010, and 94 accidents. In 2009, there were 685 fatalities and 90 accidents . . . flying has become safer over the last two decades. Between 2001 and 2010 the accident rate was cut by 42%, and two decades ago there were around 2,000 deaths and 250 crashes per year."

5. dianethare

dianethare Senior Investor

Something must be cooking up in the skies, quite eery don't you think?...the weather was fair, the airbus was in tip top shape, no anomalies...then crash!...paranormal perhaps?!...just saying {shoulders shrugged}?!...deepest heartfelt condolences to the bereaved families :(

6. crimsonghost747

crimsonghost747 Senior Investor

A tragic event indeed. They found one of the black boxes so they have some idea of what was going on but I think we will have to wait until they find the second one in order to get a definite answer. I still think flying is safe, even if there have been quite a few big accidents recently.

7. wahmed

wahmed Well-Known Member

This really really scares me. The amount of plane crashes taking place seem to be increasing. Perhaps have more streneous checks on all planes bi annually. Check pilot state before letting them fly. I don't know. Something at least

8. shilpa123

shilpa123 Banned

It is really sad that such things are happening. I do not understand why exactly this is happening. I do believe it is quite tragic and cannot be changed .

9. Gelsemium

Gelsemium Senior Investor

From what I've been hearing now they say that the cause might be the suicide of the co-pilot? I find this hard to believe, but all the news are pointing in this direction.

10. crimsonghost747

crimsonghost747 Senior Investor

That is just speculation. What they know at the moment is that one of the pilots (apparently the captain) left the cockpit to go to the bathroom and couldn't get back in. Tried to break down the door etc. And until they find the second black box with all the flight data it's going to be tough to say more.
    Could have been a terrorism related suicide attack, could have been simply a medical issue with the co-pilot. Or a number of other random things.

Time will tell.