A new war

Discussion in 'General Trading Discussion' started by Rosyrain, May 12, 2014.

1. Rosyrain

Rosyrain Senior Investor

If the US were to go to war again, would this make stocks drop drastically? I am concerned with all this Russia stuff going on.

2. sully3333

sully3333 Member

I guess it really depends on what kind of war we're talking about. I personally don't think that the US will engage in a war with Russia any time soon, but it would definitely depend on if we just sent in a few troops or if World War III began. I would think that some manufacturing stocks would go up in times of war, but if it's nuclear war we're talking about, the stock market will be the last thing on your mind.

3. JadeDoo

JadeDoo Well-Known Member

if U.S goes to world with Russia... just sell everything. The market will drop like rock, but I don't think the recent tension will esclate to anything like that at this point. Both sides knows the consequences of a war.

4. wanderingwildman

wanderingwildman Well-Known Member

I think that the stock market will crash if we do. Also, I don't think it is a matter of if. I am afraid it is only a matter of when at this point.

5. uggonen

uggonen Well-Known Member

If they end up in war, you should invest to war industry like weapon factories etc. But yes it would dramatically drop the prices for some time.

6. Lasonax

Lasonax Active Member

Of course it would drop, but as other have already said, the likelyhood that a war like that will break out is very slim.

I don't think you need to worry too much about it... I mean, if you're truly worried about a war, you should be worried more about your life than of the stock prices.

7. Gelsemium

Gelsemium Senior Investor

I can't imagine the US going to war against Russia, that would mean the end of civilization as we know it, but the cold war climate is coming again and that will shake the institutions and the stocks of course.

8. crimsonghost747

crimsonghost747 Senior Investor

There will not be an all out war. It's a silly thought.
    But any kind of military intervention by the US (which I think has like a 1% chance of happening) would of course bring down the indexes.

9. mark973

mark973 Well-Known Member

Yes, the market will definitely fall. You'd have to sell absolutely everything so you don't lose that much.

10. JR Ewing

JR Ewing Super Moderator Staff Member

In years past, wars were actually good for the economy - just look at WW2. But we're living in an era where the US is ruled by political correctness and very weak foreign policy overall.