A Question For Religious Foks

Discussion in 'Religion & Philosophy' started by Rainman, Aug 13, 2015.

1. Rainman

Rainman Senior Investor

The grand test of faith is laying down your life for something or someone you believe in. Jihadis believe they'll get 72 virgins and are more than willing to die for them virgins. Many years ago, Christians who were unwilling to embrace pagan religions were executed. So if you are religious, would you be willing to die for you faith if you had but two choices: recant or die? Which one would you choose?

2. Rosyrain

Rosyrain Senior Investor

That is an excellent question and provokes a lot of thought. As a Christian I feel that I am a good person, but would not engage in a holy war for my faith. Murder is wrong in accordance to the commandments and I do not believe God would want us going around killing each other, but promote peace instead.

3. JoshPosh

JoshPosh Guest

Rosyrain has already stated why he/she wouldn't want to go to war because of faith. But I believe it is based on interpretation of the individual. Adolf Hitler was a Christian and we all know what he did to the Jews and millions of other. We have Christian extremist that kill anyone that are non christians.

Muslims have the same separatist notion. Some say the quaran is about peace and others want to get into heaven and get into the 72 virgins they were promised.

4. eric

eric New Member

your a little confused about what jihad is but jihadis dont get virgins for dying yes i would lay down my life for my beliefs for the correct meaning

5. SteakTartare

SteakTartare Senior Investor

When I was a deeply religious young man, yes, I would have rather faced death than recant. As an older agnostic man, the question doesn't make much sense.

P.S. While the 72 virgin idea is certainly giggity-inducing, I suspect it isn't true. It is also no excuse to engage in evil acts.

6. Corzhens

Corzhens Senior Investor

Although I regularly go to church, I am more of a people person than a religious person. I face reality as it is to avoid being a religious fanatic. In our church, I see so many fanatics and hypocrites who practice religion in the wrong way. They pray but when out of the church, they commit sin. Well, and who is not a sinner here? But sinning is only based on the religious teaching. So if stealing is a sin then I would steal than let my family die of hunger.

7. TheApollonian

TheApollonian Well-Known Member

Well, the "prize" as you say for Christians is the promise of Heaven and heaven is basically anything you want it to be. You can meet famous dead people or relatives you miss and drink wine all day without the hangover. Heaven is paradise that only good souls can go to, everyone else can go to Hell. LOL. or purgatory it depends what you did in your life it basically boils down to if you were a bad or good person in Earth. I've always wondered what the criteria was so I can count how many sins I can make before going to Heaven.

8. Rainman

Rainman Senior Investor

Adam had but one rule which he was supposed to obey. Don't eat the forbidden fruit. But eat the fruit he did. Breaking this one rule brought upon him the judgment which had been pronounced — death. Same criteria will be used on judgment day. If you break any of the 10 commandments you are hell bound.

9. adwilk1218

adwilk1218 Member

I can't think of a single thing that I wouldn't at least temporarily recant if it kept my family from being harmed or myself from being killed. I think God, whoever he is, would understand.

10. Rainman

Rainman Senior Investor

We get all our answers from the bible:

"Anyone who loves their father or mother more than me is not worthy of me; anyone who loves their son or daughter more than me is not worthy of me.
    He who overcomes will inherit these things, and I will be his God and he will be My son. "But for the cowardly . . . their part will be in the lake that burns with fire and brimstone, which is the second death."

God offered His Son as a sacrifice so we could get to live forever. We are expected to make such sacrifices too.