A Question For Religious Foks

Discussion in 'Religion & Philosophy' started by Rainman, Aug 13, 2015.

1. PipCurrencies

PipCurrencies Well-Known Member

I can say that I am willing to die for my wife but refuse to be selfless enough do the dishes or take care of the children. As a Christian Jesus calls me to "love thy neighbor" (and my enemy) sacrificially. Generally speaking, everyday is a sacrifice of myself as I attempt to do just this. Heck, it's always easier to sacrificially love my neighbor who I don't know than to love my sister who I do.

It seems to me that the question of my personal physical sacrifice is too hypothetical but is hinted at in the day-to-day life I live. Some days I am enough of a selfish booger that it is obvious that I will not pick up my cross and follow my lord.

2. Sjfalcigno

Sjfalcigno New Member

I think this is more a question of knowing yourself than it is about any particular religion.
    What are your principles if you have any? WHY are they your principles? These two fundamental questions should be easily answered by anyone who's taken the time to introspect over the matter.
    -If a person's principles is to self first, then the obvious answer to the above question is no.
    -If something or someone is more important to you than you, the answer is yes.
    My principles don't come from my Christian faith, my faith comes as a result of my existing principles. Am I perfect? Absolutely not, I am human.
    However, there are some things that are non-negotiable. The principal itself makes me who I am.
    Would I fling myself in front of an oncoming train to save the life of my child...you better believe it.
    If captured and my only choice is death or recant the very thing that defines me? Kill me. I'll never ever willingly give up my freedom or the thing that sets me apart from animals.

3. Wesley7

Wesley7 Guest

He who seeks to save his life will lose it but he who gives his life for my names sake will find eternal life (as will his family as it applies).

4. norms options

norms options Well-Known Member

Given only 2 choices--to recant my faith or die, I would die for my faith. I realize that to a lot of folks out there this may seem extreme, but to me it is not even a question. To recant my faith to save my life on earth is completely ridiculous because it would jeopardize my eternity. We are but a speck of dust. We are here and gone in the breath of the wind. I believe I am saved and will go to heaven because I have taken Jesus as my savior, and to say anything different is just not an option for me. Especially when you consider that he died on a cross to save my soul.

5. Sandra

Sandra Active Member

This not only relates to religion, but beliefs in general. If you are convicted and passionate about a particular belief, you should be willing to stand for it no matter what. It's the same for religious beliefs. The reality though, is that most persons fear death and sometimes, it's only when you're actually placed in a position to stand for your faith will you know if you are strong enough to choose to die. However, the advantage of most religions, if not all, is that there is hope of a reward or better life some day even after death and this may give believers an even greater drive to stand up for their belief. It's sad though that someone should ever have to die for their beliefs.

6. jjvors

jjvors New Member

Hi Sandra, I seriously considered the Christian requirement of dying for God before I ever became a Christian. After two years, I got enough guts to commit my life to God. That was 44 years ago and I don't regret it. Jesus was quite clear: we carry our cross daily. We are to be living sacrifices, laying down our lives daily. We will be persecuted for bearing the name of Jesus.

7. User911

User911 Well-Known Member

There is a BIG difference between what jihadis are doing and what Christians are to do. Jihadis not only lay down their life, they also lay down YOUR life as well! They can only get those 72 virgins IF they also kill some infidels along with their own suicide. Just killing themselves is nothing in allah's eyes, otherwise I suppose they would all just kill themselves and think they'd be going to heaven. Seriously, this whole 72 virgin thing and bringing down infidels while killing themself is all in their "holy" documents.

Jesus Christ never advocated killing anyone, except for Himself as a sacrifice for the sins of everyone in the world. Jesus said He came so that we could have life and life more abundantly. He was never focused on death and killing like mohammed was. The Christians that we've seen as victims of ISIS know that ISIS are only killing the body; they cannot kill the soul. So maybe the jihadis think they are being martyrs, but they are really not. They are just simple murderers. The Christians being decapitated are the true martyrs and it is more important to them to stay true to Christ than to save their own short, human life.

8. Skihasi

Skihasi New Member

Yes I would stand up

My main problem was this question is that the only refers to religion. I think we should also consider our lifestyle, namely our freedoms and way of life. I believe that nobody should be able to overturn the Constitution and implement a different law that is only good for some but not for the majority. In that case I would take up Arms and defend the laws of the Constitution and the Bill of Rights with my life.

9. evelin

evelin Well-Known Member

I don't know how life is where you guys come from, but where I live I don't choose to be a Christian or not. I'm born and labeled as one unless I take legal courses to take away that "quality" I've been given from my birth. So, regarding the Adolf Hitler being a Christian thing, it's a difference from the sky down to Earth to be a practicant Christian or Christian without your will. I don't go to church, I don't follow all those traditions, but that doesn't stop me from being a good person. It's just that I prefer a more non-conformistical life.