Aapl - Apple

Discussion in 'Investment Charts' started by longtermbull, Mar 22, 2017.

1. JR Ewing

JR Ewing Super Moderator Staff Member

TSLA seems to me to be different from AAPL in a number of ways - they are heavily subsidized by the govt, for one.

AAPL sells items that are much smaller ticket items - "apples" and oranges comparing them to TLSA if you will... and their items tend to have much higher market penetration and fewer competitors and limitations.

I cannot see buying a car that I have to plug in and recharge every couple hundred miles or whatever, so I will stick to my Japanese gas burners for the time being.

AAPL has also long had very strong earnings and a huge stockpile of extra cash. TSLA burns through money like crazy.

2. longtermbull

longtermbull Administrator Staff Member

I see what you mean JR but I think there are some early stage comparisons.

Tesla will not be able to make itself the main go to company for EVs no matter how good they are because there will always be enormous competition and we dont spend tens of thousands of dollars at the drop of a hat. However once the cash does eventually start to flow - when production issues have been resolved - Tesla will have the upper hand on many competitors who have massive running costs. Would Apple and Tesla have merged if Steve Jobs was still around? The bringing together of those 2 minds (and friends) would have been awesome but not necessarily something the stock market would have been able to control or understand.

3. longtermbull

It seems that nothing can stop the rise and rise of Apple - even the threat of court action after admitting the company slows down old iPhone handsets.

4. gowiththeflow

gowiththeflow Senior Investor

See the company has been hit with a $999 billion class action - great headlines but what a load of rubbish :)

5. Chartman

Chartman Senior Investor

This is a tricky one as I dont really understand how Apple can defend making older iPhones slower - if it is purely to save battery life this doesnt stack up as surely Apple makes money from replacement batteries.

6. longtermbull

I was talking to a friend of mine yesterday about Apple shares and he believes the company’s product range is far too narrow. In theory he has a point but if Apple can continue to manipulate customers and get them to buy the latest Apple products, is there still further growth in the share price?

Personally, I think there will be a backlash to the “iPhone slowdown” scandal but time will tell.

7. gowiththeflow

gowiththeflow Senior Investor

Just thinking, might this just be the tip of the iceberg - maybe other phone manufacturers are operating similar strategies?

8. longtermbull

I honestly cannot see a scenario where Apple will escape from this scenario damage free? The fact that the company has admitted to slowing down older iPhones must surely be illegal? Then we have the issue of subscribers upgrading because of the slower older iPhones. Again, there must be some form of legal redress for customers?

9. Chartman

Chartman Senior Investor

Apple is receiving positive press for addressing the security issues conntected with computer chips sooner than many other companies - seems to be deflecting from the iPhone slowdown issue :)

10. longtermbull

Is the negative press comment about the slowing of older phones finally catching up with Apple?

Tags: