After Media's Hate Campaign Against Police . . .

Discussion in 'Politics Discussion' started by Rainman, Aug 16, 2015.

1. Rainman

Rainman Senior Investor

Some police officers who are terrified of having their names dragged through the mire can't even defend themselves against violent "unarmed" individuals. An Alabama police officer who was assaulted by a motorist, couldn't shoot his assailant because he didn't want to be the next police officer accused of killing an unarmed person . . .

Is this what the nation really wants?

http://www.cnn.com/2015/08/13/us/al...pistol-whipped/index.html?eref=rss_topstories
    A Birmingham, Alabama, police detective who was pistol-whipped unconscious said Friday that he hesitated to use force because he didn't want to be accused of needlessly killing an unarmed man.

"A lot of officers are being too cautious because of what's going on in the media," said the officer, who asked to remain anonymous for the safety of his family. "I hesitated because I didn't want to be in the media like I am right now."

Last edited: Aug 16, 2015
  2. pwarbi

pwarbi Senior Investor

Unfortunately, it doesn't matter if this is what the public want or not, it's the way things are and I can't see it changing any time soon.

With the increase of social media, people filming anything and everything, everybody, not just people in authority are having to watch more carefully what they do and how they react to certain situations.

3. Rainman

Rainman Senior Investor

All this developments make police work harder. And the people who the police are supposed to be serving are the ones who are going to suffer. Some of these things, they go round in circles. Right now, the police are being presented to the public as the villains but when vigilantes start doing the police's work there'll be a public outcry . . . demands that the police should do their work.

4. AtlantaSports

AtlantaSports Senior Investor

I just wish that people would realize that not all cops are bad, but there is still a ton of terrible things happening amongst the USA that have to do with police brutality. It's a problem that is going to be super difficult to handle.

5. JR Ewing

JR Ewing Super Moderator Staff Member

I wouldn't want to be a cop for anything these days.

6. gmckee1985

gmckee1985 Senior Investor

I don't believe it's what the nation as a whole wants. But there are definitely a lot of folks on the left wing who want it. They have made police officers the enemy. Unfortunately. It's open season on cops as far as they are concerned. We've seen crime rates skyrocket in cities like Baltimore where cops are afraid to do their jobs as they used to. I think this targeting of cops is going to really discourage folks from being a part of that profession. Its not like its a well compensated job anyway. Especially when you consider what they deal with.

7. JoshPosh

JoshPosh Guest

In hindsight I can say that he should of used the stun gun on him and dropped him, but if I was in his shoes, I would have second thoughts as well. Your life is on the line and then there's this kid behind you that is recording everything. You will be a instant youtube sensation overnight with a million views.

He hesitated and got beat up and could of possibly been killed. So how do we gauge the situation now that taking your time and easing up a bit has been played out and he payed for it. Do we say good job for restraining yourself? Or "you should of dropped him like what we use to do".

I'm no expert in any means, but I think in most situation where the officers feels threatened that he should ask you once, if you don't reply or comply, then he has the right to ensure his safety. Take a few steps back and reach for his stun gun, then ask again. Notice I said stun gun and not pistol.