Airline stocks?

Discussion in 'Stock Market Forum' started by Mr.RC, Dec 1, 2014.

1. btatro

btatro Member

Yes. It would be difficult to predict when the fall would come, and to get out soon enough to create a profit. Though, the risk could be taken, and, if timed right, could be done. Certainly a good time to sell, as stated above, no doubt about that.

2. JR Ewing

JR Ewing Super Moderator Staff Member

:D

I thought about you the other night when I watched the DVD for the thousandth time and Gekko told Fox what to eat at Club 21. ;)

[video=youtube;rCV0srlnQkE]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rCV0srlnQkE[/video]

3. JR Ewing

[video=youtube;BdV95fC09hE]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BdV95fC09hE[/video]

4. JR Ewing

[video=youtube;PF_iorX_MAw]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PF_iorX_MAw[/video]

5. SteakTartare

SteakTartare Senior Investor

:D

It is, easily, one of my favorite flicks too. I've seen it a gazillion times and the quotes are awesome. In addition to the one's above, a couple Gekko's I've always liked are:

"What's worth doing is worth doing for money." and "You don't win 'em all, you don't love 'em all, you keep on fighting."

The sequel though, was, ugh. But I digress. ;)

6. petesede

petesede Guest

The other problem with airline stocks and playing against the price of oil is that these guys are heavy into futures. I believe I read somewhere that SW Airlines basically is 5 years ahead with the prices of oil... so the reality is, the oil they are buying today, they are paying a much higher price for compared to the actual market price of oil. They do this to protect themselves against spikes in oil prices, which would be crippling. So while this years drop in oil prices will benefit airlines, the benefit is spread out over many years, just like the damage from a spike in oil prices would be spread out over many years.

7. JR Ewing

His "If you need a friend, get a dog!" quote was an actual Carl Icahn quote. Gekko was said to be based upon Icahn, Mike Milken, and Ivan Boesky.

8. JR Ewing

9. SamClemensMT

SamClemensMT Well-Known Member

That was an interesting movie. The moral of the story has to be, to be careful of what you wish for. Because you just may get it.