Allowing Pets?

Discussion in 'Landlord & Rental Property Questions' started by LindaKay, May 5, 2014.

1. Strykstar

Strykstar Well-Known Member

If it's a single-housing house then I would allow it, but I'd probably require an escrow in case there is any damage done by the pet.
    If it was an apartment complex or even just a house with more than one tenant, I would have a no-pets policy as they could bother other tenants and would not be worth the bother.

2. uggonen

uggonen Well-Known Member

You can not really say if its good or not. Some pets behave extremely well inside while others are really bad behaving. You can not judge them or decide it from one experience. But if I would have to decide I wouldn't allow pets in rented houses.

3. Gelsemium

Gelsemium Senior Investor

That's true, the problem is that we might get lucky or not and I would not ruin my property based on luck, so I would prefer not to allow pets.

4. Strykstar

Strykstar Well-Known Member

But it's always a gamble, the best is to either get an insurance for that or get in it the contract that the tenant is responsible for any damages, because even if you ask them if their pets are well behaved before you rent it, they will all say that their pets are little angels with cotton paws.

5. Lasonax

Lasonax Active Member

I think that pets should be allowed "everywhere", with certain exceptions. Small cats/dogs would usually do no actual damage unless the keeper weren't properly taking care of his/her pet, but there should of course be some kind of line between "pets" and zoo animals. I mean, if you got a pig in your home, it's probably going to mess something up, but if you just have a little kitty? Doubt it's going to do much harm.

6. Kate

Kate Senior Investor

Which begs the question... some rentals don't allow children either... considering they can often be more destructive than pets, would you also not allow children, uggonen? I have seen a lot more destruction in rental properties (not our own fortunately!) from unruly teenagers who think things like putting holes through walls to show their anger is fine and acceptable. Lots more damage than I've ever seen a pet cause, actually.

And preschoolers playing Picasso on the walls. And scuff marks from toys on wood floors. So does it apply to children, too, since they can be more destructive than pets?

7. Kate

Kate Senior Investor

Very good point, Lasonax... there's always going to be someone pushing the envelope. I guess we may have to change our lease now that you've bought this up... or saying "pets allowed" may have us stressing on how to reverse that when someone tries to bring in a Bengal tiger. :D

Or a pig, yes... shivers!!

8. waseem59

waseem59 Well-Known Member

Its quite difficult to maintain pets in rentals , you might be facing problem with your landlord in future

9. soultakerkage

soultakerkage Guest

I think it is a great idea to allow pets. It was very difficult to find an apartment complex with a reasonable price range that allowed pets starting out. When I finally found an apartment, I was real quick to sign a lease. I think it is perfectly fine as long as you establish a set of ground rules for pets that works for the average person. My cat and I couldn't be happier in our apartment now.

10. hnatalieann

hnatalieann Guest

I would hate to say no pets, I love my fur babies. I would just have understandable rules, a security deposit and an understanding they are responsible for any damage. It is always a gamble, but make it something in the lease agreement that they are 100% liable for any damage. Make sure to take pictures before hey move in!!