Amazon announces the new Fire phone.

Discussion in 'Stock Market Forum' started by richc3, Jun 18, 2014.

1. richc3

richc3 Senior Investor

*US residents this is an AT&T exclusive

From what we've gathered right now,
    - 4.7" HD Display
    - 801 SoC with 2 GB RAM
    - Dedicated Camera button
    - 13 MP with OIS sensor
    - Unlimited cloud storage for photos
    - "Dynamic Perspective" what you're viewing will move with you.
    - Firefly feature which can detect items or sounds and allow you to buy them from Amazon. It goes a step further and you can take a picture of your food and it will recognize what the contents are. Right now, they have one hundred million items it can find.

edit: $199 with a two-year contract, or $27 per month on Next. This is for 32GB.July 25th. Includes 12 months of Amazon prime.
    Developing...

What do you guys think?

Last edited: Jun 18, 2014
  2. nashvilleshelby

nashvilleshelby Active Member

Awesome. I am in need of a new phone and I am with ATT. I will check it out.

3. turt

turt Guest

It looks like a nice phone but I'm not sure how many people are going to buy a phone with Amazon's apps pushed on it. The tablets made more sense since they were cheaper than many others. Does anyone know who is making the phone hardware?

4. Allison2021

Allison2021 Well-Known Member

How much Data would you receive? It's on an Android system. If you get the Amazon Prime membership with it, then it a great offer/deal.
    I don't know why but for some reason, I assumed Samsung made the phone.

5. Leeroy_MY

Leeroy_MY Well-Known Member

Kind of disappointed. Nothing really stands out from the hardware or software that gives us the 'wow' factor and with the focus on amazon apps, it's more like buying a glorified 200$ marketing tool for amazon.

I was hoping it would be something like the Nexus 5, affordable with a focus on good software that can compete with the likes of apple & samsung due to its price, but instead we're getting a 2nd tier flagship wannabe.

And the stock market would seem to reflect my sentiments too, with a 2.21% drop since the news was announced.

6. hnatalieann

hnatalieann Guest

I have AT&T and am shopping for a new phone so I will be checking this one out. It looks good, but seeing it in person can make or break the deal!

7. Rosyrain

Rosyrain Senior Investor

I am not sure that I would purchase it unless I can get it at a very decent price. It does not seem like it would be a good investment if I had to spend iphone type prices for it. All I really need on a phone is internet and texting, so I do not need a phone with a ton of different bells and whistles.

8. Annabell

Annabell Well-Known Member

That's actually quite a nice phone...I wonder if they're going to make this available outside of the US, and how it's going to do up against the oncoming Firefox phone from Mozilla, since they'll both be fighting for the spot of lowest costing phone for the best performance.

9. uggonen

uggonen Well-Known Member

Sound good to me to see more developers joining the mobile boat. But I think their first few phones will be flops though. Have you guys ever seen anyone successing with their first product? It takes development and after a few bad ones we should see a good phone from them.

10. mmalka01

mmalka01 Guest

I will definitely take a look for it but the thing is amazon tends to price these items below its true value and it seems that they have taken an 'apple' approach to it. This phone needs to be at least 200 dollars below its current price if they are expecting to take any market share and the fact that its pretty much a customized version of an older android system, makes me think why not an official Google device that would be more practical, reliable, and cost nearly half as much.