Amazon announces the new Fire phone.

Discussion in 'Stock Market Forum' started by richc3, Jun 18, 2014.

1. Livvy

Livvy Well-Known Member

Let's face it. It isn't a matter of if they find a way to root it, but more a case of how long do we have to wait?

2. hiddenwolf

hiddenwolf Member

It sounds interesting unfortunately I already got me a Galaxy S4 so I'm good when it comes to needing a phone. I'm curious how well it will do and what its going to look like. Is the 32GB internal memory or does it come with a microSD?

3. healthandfitness

healthandfitness Well-Known Member

I am interested to see if this product takes off or not. It is really difficult to tell when a later comer comes to the party. In spite of the fact that the Kindle and Fire have been received, the market has not seen Amazon in this territory. On the other hand, if Amazon has a superior product, they will surely have access to a decent market share. Being exclusive to AT&T is not a smart idea.

You will remember that IPhone did the same thing, and it limited their potential. No one will switch to AT&T just for this phone, and they will have to hope that the current AT&T clients are interested in this product enough to switch. The other factor is, how does it weigh up to the Samsung, and what about those that prefer the vast span of apps out there that this phone may not accommodate?

4. downsouth

downsouth Guest

Never heard of this until now.

5. bintsk

bintsk Active Member

It seems like a good deal. The phone looks pretty good and the specifications are good too. Also, the price is affordable. If the camera had more megapixels, it would have been perfect.
    Anyways, I would definitely recommend this phone to anyone who is planning to buy new cell phone.

6. Strykstar

Strykstar Well-Known Member

I'm glad Amazon took this step, this is a clear evolution in the Kindle - Kindle Fire line and both those products had plenty of success.
    The more diversity in the market the better for us as consumers.

7. troutski

troutski Guest

Critics have ripped the phone to shreds, though. They've giving the device middling reviews, and it's not that great of a value. It's just another smartphone with a gimmick as its main selling point. It even lacks some basic Google services, despite running on a modified version of the Android platform. I'd stay away from this device because there are plenty of other ones that beat it in specs and features.

8. jondjacob

jondjacob Well-Known Member

I have yet to see any numbers on how the sales are for Amazon, because, from what I've seen, the reviews are pretty good on Amazon itself. Took a look at the feature set and there are some excellent ones that go well beyond the Dyanmic View Option. What I have seen is an article that watched the sales rank move from #1 to #77, and the 32GB model moved to #49...

Personally, I think that this market is too juicy for Amazon to let go of easily, so they will continue to innovate moving forward.

9. troutski

troutski Guest

The smartphone market isn't juicy at all for companies that aren't Apple and Samsung. You might throw HTC and LG in there, but that would be generous. The smartphone market is cutthroat for the non-power players, and every analyst knew that Amazon was making a mistake trying to cut into the market. The company did fine with tablets, but it faltered on the smartphone end. Customers have reviewed the device poorly compared to other flagship devices, and critics weren't as happy about it either.

10. BabyBear

BabyBear Active Member

I don't think Amazon's ambition is to have a bestselling smartphone. To me, this seems to be more about them trying to learn new ways to encourage shopping and digital content consumption so that they can export those applications / technologies to non-Amazon phones. They just needed a dedicated platform to experiment on. At the end of the day, they are probably agnostic as to who owns the hardware.