"Anybody but Trump" Campaign ..

Discussion in 'Politics Discussion' started by SteakTartare, Mar 3, 2016.

1. SteakTartare

SteakTartare Senior Investor

So, I've been following the news today and the GOP establishment is in full on meltdown mode. And, candidly, understandably so. Trump may be playing well in the primaries, but the general is a whole 'nother proposition.

Anyway, somewhat bizarrely, some are talking of throwing all their support behind Cruz. The establishment hates Cruz with an almost undying passion. He is, however, in the number two slot as of this writing. Strange bedfellows indeed. I'd had figured Rubio, but he's trailing in third place, and didn't do fantastically in Super Tuesday.

Thoughts on this development?

2. baudwalk

baudwalk Senior Investor

Romney's speech tomorrow may offer an insight to the establishment's thinking and actions that could be taken, and the upcoming winner-take-all primaries in the next two weeks should yield some clarity. I think the name calling should cease for the good of the ABH campaign, but I have no expectations that it will happen anytime soon.

3. SteakTartare

Indeed, I am expecting a full-on Trump Thump'n from the Romnster tomorrow. Beyond tipping their hand and providing "marching orders," though, I'm not entirely sure what it is going to do for them. Whoever their candidate of choice is better move and move fast on picking up delegates, because it is going to be a done deal soon.

4. Rainman

Rainman Senior Investor

What the GOP needs to beat Trump is unity. Cruz was the first to call for it. He wants the other candidates to drop out and support him. To be honest I don't see Rubio dropping out to support Cruz. Maybe Romney's speech might unify the party.

5. Corzhens

Corzhens Senior Investor

There are talks that GOP stalwarts are calling for a move to beat Trump and I believe that is true because even Mitt Romney had already said that he would do something about it. But if the rules of the game will be followed, I don't think Trump's opponents can do something to avert a loss to Trump simply because they are not united and I don't see any chance that they will unite because each of them has their own interest. So I'd say the Republicans can say goodbye to the presidency if they continue to backbite their virtual standard bearer.

6. pwarbi

pwarbi Senior Investor

There's definitely a 'anybody but Trump' mentality at the moment, even if they do just want to call it unity.

The problem is, people keep voting for Trump, time and time again and it seems like whatever the party try to do, they're just being ignored.

7. Alex

Alex Senior Investor

For other countries viewing the American campaigns there have been a few amusing memes. One said watching Americans vote for Trump is like an IQ test, and while Americans respect the fact that anyone can campaign to be President as long as they have money, the back rooms still wield power as to their preferred candidate. In a way it's the best of the evils of Trump or Cruz; the question they must try to answer is which one could beat Clinton in the final race?

Do they really prefer Cruz over Trump, or aren't they as bad as each other?

8. SteakTartare

I just, literally, caught the end of Romney's speech. He called Trump, among other things, a "phony" and a "fraud". He called his supporters "suckers".

9. petesede

petesede Guest

While it is distressing to watch this happen. You still have to remember that in most of these states he is winning, Trump is only geting 35% of the Republican vote, which is half of the country.. so at best, only about 18% of the country are complete idiots who vote for him.

But the Republicans have brought this on themselves by wrapping themselves in all of the anti-intellectual arguments. Anti-vaccine, anti-science, global warming deniers.. on almost every issue the Republicans are neanderthals. You had US senators saying that women´s bodies could prevent them from becoming pregnant during a rape.

And then you have the fact that they have fueled racism for the past 20 years. Everyone still talks about it, but nobody really wants to talk about the root of it, But in 2000 when McCain was beating Bush, Bush started running ads in South Carolina hinting that McCain had an illegitimate black child. Bush embraced and used the racism of SC and brought it under the tent of the Republican party. It is the same way the Republican establishment kinda smirked when Trump brought up the birther issues and where monkeys and bananas were all over the internet. They did not disavow it, they let it permeate the atmosphere of their party.

And now they are surprised that dumb, racist people are enough to propel someone like Trump to the nomination. Karl Rove did this to the party in 2000 when he helped get Bush elected. His strategy was to legitimatize these types of voters and rally them to vote for Bush.

10. JR Ewing

JR Ewing Super Moderator Staff Member

It should be an "anyone but a Dem" campaign, but the Republicans on the whole are too politically stupid to beat dems, too arrogant to listen to their constituents, and too hellbent on maintaining their comfortable big govt existence as the number 2 team to the Dems.

And when I hear guys like Carson and McCain talk about how they didn't want to do this or that in order to win because it "violated their principles", it is easy to understand why they cannot beat the Dems - who do ANYTHING to win elections - lie, cheat, and have zero principles or ethics.

The Republican establishment are more like their Dem counterparts than they are the others in their party who lobby for less government, and less fraud/waste/abuse/corruption. And they are far nicer to the former than they are to the latter.