Anyone Play Poker?

Discussion in 'The Cocktail Lounge' started by JadeDoo, May 6, 2014.

1. Gelsemium

Gelsemium Senior Investor

Ahah, do you have such poor skills uggonen? I think that putting the money on the table gives it another thrill, even if it's a small amount.

2. JadeDoo

JadeDoo Well-Known Member

Poker is not the same with no money or some sort of a bet. Cause then people don't take it seriously and then the whole dynamic of the game changes.

3. CrystalMarie

CrystalMarie Active Member

Yes I play poker with my friends at least once a week at my house. I think it is a great skill to have when you are interested in stocks. It teaches you probability and likelihood of certain movies which is basically what stock investment is.

4. waseem59

waseem59 Well-Known Member

Im really addicted to play poker online, i find a new world in playing poker

5. firelily99

firelily99 Well-Known Member

I don't see it anything like the stocks but everyone has their own spin on things. I have played online for quite awhile and enjoy the challenge of it. I miss the face to face or a real game which I find much more enjoyable.

6. mark973

mark973 Well-Known Member

Yeah, it is kind of similar to stocks. There are always risks involved. Just make sure you don't get addicted or else you're eventually doomed to fail.

7. sully3333

sully3333 Member

That's for sure. It's even easier to get addicted to poker nowadays with all of the online gambling sites. You can even use Bitcoins to play poker online now.

8. Strykstar

Strykstar Well-Known Member

That's true, that's why I can't play for "play money" at all on Facebook or on Poker Sites.
    If people don't have anything staked then the game just becomes a big all-in-fest, very uninteresting in my opinion.

9. InterestedInvesto

InterestedInvesto Active Member

That's interesting, online poker is negative sum? Do you have a basis for that statement? I'm not questioning its veracity, it just struck me as seemingly interesting and I would like to read more so I could learn more about game theory in poker.

10. Thejamal

Thejamal Guest

Agreed! I've played a lot of poker the last few years and been able to pay off quite a few bills and develop a solid little nest egg because of it. Live, I've never gone above the lowest stakes, but I've still found it really profitable for me.

And as far as it's relation to trading/investing, it's a matter of the same principles. You have to know when to stay conservative and go aggressive. You have to know when you're on tilt and just cut your losses. You have to have the ability to read the field and make good decisions off your reads. An as you mentioned, Bankroll management is just as important in trading/investing as it is in poker to be a profitable player.