Apartment with common parking area

Discussion in 'Landlord & Rental Property Questions' started by Corzhens, Dec 7, 2015.

1. Corzhens

Corzhens Senior Investor

Some apartments here have a parking area but that is common in a sense. Let's say there are 4 tenants in the apartment but the parking slots are only 3 so it would create a problem. The landlord's policy on the common parking area is first-come, first-serve basis. It is the cause of arguments among the tenants that's why there should be an ordinace to provide ample parking space for tenants. Sadly, tenants with no parking area is forced to park in the street, exposing their vehicles to criminal elements who cold force-open their car (this happened to us when we were renting an apartment).

2. pwarbi

pwarbi Senior Investor

I'm not sure that the landlord of the property can do anything other than make the parking facilities a first come, first served area.

Ideally they should be able to provide enough parking for the number of tenants they have, but where that isn't possible I think it needs to be left to the tenants to come up with a solution.

3. baudwalk

baudwalk Senior Investor

The replies in your thread http://www.bullmarketboard.com/threads/6132-House-with-no-parking-area may well contain the answers to this variant question in this thread. Bottom line it surely reads like the Manila city (or whatever municipality you are referring to) administration and employees need to get their collective act together to clean up parking managment, commercial and private building code standards and enforcement, traffic management, and public transit. Manila could learn from New York City, Chicago or Los Angeles (or take your pick worldwide). :)

4. crimsonghost747

crimsonghost747 Senior Investor

If there isn't space, then there isn't space. Two ways to go about it: the one you have now, the one who sees an empty spot takes it. The other is to simply rent them out, the one who pays gets a parking spot. I had a nice mix of the two in my old apartment: there were something like 15 spots that were reserved (didn't cost much) and maybe 5 spots that were free to use. So those who valued always having a spot would have one for a small fee, the rest parked where they could.

5. kgord

kgord Senior Investor

I think people in an apartment should get one assigned parking place and some designated spaces for visitors. These are the ways to make it fair for everyone. I mean it doesn't make sense that people should have to argue over parking places. Isn't it a possibility they could do street parking? I lived in one apartment that had no spaces...you had to do street parking..which was a bit tricky at times...as there was a hill.

6. L_B

L_B Well-Known Member

Where I love everyone has their assigned parking spots. One spot for each apartment. If you have two cars or have visitors over they must park on the street.

7. Corzhens

Corzhens Senior Investor

I think it is the undoing of the local government because any structure, whether house apartment or building requires a building permit to be secured from the city hall or town hall in the engineering department. Let's say an apartment with 4 doors have only 3 parking slots, the city engineers should not allow that and must ask for a redesign for the architecture. What happens here is that using the road for parking is getting to be the norm which is not really good. So many rental spaces have no parking space and they get a building permit and a business permit as well.

8. Rainman

Rainman Senior Investor

The tenants have to decide whether the risk of having their cars stolen is worth it. While I understand it could be hard to find the right apartment for you when searching for one you have to ensure that you'll get everything you'll need [that would include parking space]. If there isn't [enough space] then maybe finding another apartment would be the solution?

9. Corzhens

Corzhens Senior Investor

I just want to elaborate a bit on our car which was forced open. We were renting an apartment with a common parking area which was the crux of the quarrel among the tenants so the landlord blocked the entrance and the parking area is left as an open space. When we bought a 2-year old car, we had no choice but to park on the side of the street. After a week, we found our car in the morning with an open door, no radio and no spare tire. It was really painful considering that it was our first new car.

10. abcdefghi

abcdefghi Member

It sucks to have your car broken into, but that could happen in a driveway just as easily as on the street. Isn't it covered by your insurance? I don't think it's the landlords responsibility to provide any parking. That's something a tenant has to take into consideration when deciding where to live.