Apartment with common parking area

Discussion in 'Landlord & Rental Property Questions' started by Corzhens, Dec 7, 2015.

1. Corzhens

Corzhens Senior Investor

I agree that an incident like that (forcing open our car) is minimized in probability when the car is parked inside the driveway. It's a good thing that our car had a comprehensive insurance. All the damages were paid for by the insurance for a consolation to us. What happened next was we were forced to move into a house for almost double the cost of the apartment. At least the house has a garage of its own and a big driveway to boot. We stayed in that rented house for 5 years before we were able to save enough for a downpayment to a house of our own.

2. kgord

kgord Senior Investor

It seems like in the cities or close suburbs parking situations are never ideal. We had one situation where there was always a shortage of spaces. What is really bad in those situations that if someone parks in your space...you are forced to park to park in their space and so on. It causes problems..this is even if the spaces are assigned. Sometimes all the visitor spaces were taken as well. People with assigned parking get really annoyed when someone parks in their space!

3. Corzhens

Corzhens Senior Investor

It is disheartening to see that parking is also a problem in rural places here. In this holiday season, we had a short trip to the nearby province and we experienced the difficulty of parking our car. The roads are narrow and vehicles are parked on the side so that vehicles have difficulty passing by. I really wonder what happens 50 years from now, vehicles may not be able to traverse the small roads anymore and only the main roads would be passable. There ought to be a law against street parking because it is becoming a bad habit here.

4. My401K

My401K Well-Known Member

Working in a large Condominium complex one of the largest complaints after dogs was parking. Even if there are spaces that are allocated to the residents, there still seems to be problems. What happens when the resident has two cars? what happens when the resident has family that comes to stay? Then arguments start on who should have the space closer to the door and whether or not spaces can be changed if a person becomes disabled. I tend to believe that the best policy really is fist come first serve. For what it is worth, even as a homeowner I still have to play musical cars in my own driveway, some things are just a part of modern life,

5. Corzhens

Corzhens Senior Investor

What's sad is that condominiums here have a separate sale for parking slots. That means you can buy a unit without a parking provision. And what happens when the condo building is fully operational? There will be a mad scramble in the common parking area. I once inquired on a condo unit and the cost of the parking slot is around 20% of the cost of the condo unit. It is exorbitant but a friend bought 2 units as an investment with a reason that he can resell it for a good price in the future. Maybe he is right but I don't think that is a good investment.

6. nissi

nissi Well-Known Member

They definitely need to have enough spaces for how many people could live there. But yes cars on the street are more exposed to people messing with them.