Apple Needed Product Diversification?

Discussion in 'The Cocktail Lounge' started by Rainman, Jan 13, 2016.

1. Rainman

Rainman Senior Investor

Well they gave it a thought and they are according to Elon Musk, in the process of making an electric. An Apple electric car which will be much better than all the others.

http://www.bbc.com/news/technology-35280633
    It doesn't surprise me though. Google is making a self-driving car, aren't they?

2. Susimi

Susimi Senior Investor

Google are making a self-driving car, as are Tesla. And now with Apple in the mix I wonder who else is going to throw their hat into the ring?

What's everyone's opinion on these self driving cars? They may seem like the future but I would be very nervous sharing the road with these things once the day comes, let alone get behind the wheel of one.

3. crimsonghost747

crimsonghost747 Senior Investor

I would be much more nervous about sharing the road with a human being who is tired after work and texting while driving. So that's like 1/3rd of the drivers nowadays. I'd be a bit hesitant to be behind the wheel in one though... mainly because I do like to drive and it would feel weird if it was a computer doing that for me.

4. L_B

L_B Well-Known Member

Like everything else it has it's good points and bad. I agree with crimsonghost747, I would much rather have one of these cars on the road then somebody who is driving distracted. However, I am not so sure how much faith I would have letting a car drive my itself. I think it would make me feel nervous not being in control.

5. gracer

gracer Senior Investor

I'm having doubts with self-driven cars because I have been hearing cases of sudden unintended acceleration when it comes to computer generated cars nowadays. What more when it comes to a car that actually drives by itself? I still very much prefer driving a car that I know I am in full control of.

6. MakeDollarsSense

MakeDollarsSense Well-Known Member

We'll see how this all pans out. I'm sure all parties will be suing the pants off each other over patent law.

7. pwarbi

pwarbi Senior Investor

Apple do need to look into other areas as a lot of other companies are doing and unless they want to get left behind, they also need to do the same and branch out.

While a lot of new ideas may not work, they only have to have one new innovation to take off as the ****** did and that will secure the future of the company for many more years to come.

8. crimsonghost747

crimsonghost747 Senior Investor

Exactly. A few millions into some experimental stuff won't cause a big dent into the financials of these companies but it's pretty much mandatory to keep up with developement. the ****** won't last forever so they do need some other sources of revenue.

9. baudwalk

baudwalk Senior Investor

Apple diversification isn't that important. The watch, the car, the television, the computer and tablet are distractions from the phone market. With the new phone about to be released, the focus should be on upgrades and sales in China and (perhaps) India.

Last edited: Jan 16, 2016
  10. briannagodess

briannagodess Well-Known Member

I think they should focus on making different phones, not just their usual phone. A phone which can compete with the affordability of Android phones. I do think them making a car is far off in the future. And I wish that if they do, it doesn't have bugs like their phones. Since car versions aren't supposed to be changed year after year after year.