Apple Pay Usage Continues To Drop

Discussion in 'Stock Market Forum' started by Rainman, Dec 28, 2015.

1. Rainman

Rainman Senior Investor

When Apple Pay was launched a year ago it was expected that anyone who used Apple's products would start using this new service because it was more convenient. Apparently though not too many people were that interested in using Apple Pay when they could use their credit or debit cards.

http://www.businessinsider.com/apple-pay-usage-continues-to-drop-2015-12
    Should Apple Pay end up being a flop will it make Apple's stock take a dive?

2. Corzhens

Corzhens Senior Investor

I don't think Apple Pay will pull down Apple products with its failure because clearly it is a separate business. And although Apple Pay is a by-product of Apple, it has a separate personality and a different line of business. Apple products, from ****** to **** to iTunes, are well established when it comes to clientelle and it is not easy to fall down by the wayside unless something dynamic happens to the said businesses. With Apple Pay, I think the setback is only temporary and it can probably make a rebound after the new year.

3. kgord

kgord Senior Investor

Well not everyone has Apple devices. I haven't bought any Apple products since my Ipod a number of years ago. I just am not into them. I have always had Android devices, so something like Apple pay would not be practical at all for me. Now something like Amazon pay might be something I am really interested in. However, I have never really gotten the hang of using that, actually I haven't looked at it much at all.

4. JR Ewing

JR Ewing Super Moderator Staff Member

I don't think that this alone would make Apple's stock "take a dive". With that said, I've sold off most of my Apple stock in the last 12-15 months that I'd piled up over the previous 7+ years. Not all of it, but most of it.

5. hawksfan9325

hawksfan9325 Active Member

Apple Pay has not done a good job marketing at all. I hear about Apple Pay from everyone but Apple.

6. wallstreeter35

wallstreeter35 New Member

Apple Pay is irrelevant to the Apple discussion

When it come to Apple and putting things like earnings into perspective, have a look at where the company, or any company for that matter, is actually making money. It's all about the ****** for Apple, nothing else in their line up comes close to the revenue. Apple Pay is just a flickering thought for now in the grand scheme.

Hear is something else to chew on. The question I continue to ask during earnings season is: when will or does this ****** paradymn shift? Apple "brand" sells Apple and it's hard for consumers to make a change once they've been a user for a while. Think about any other product you use: from clothing line, to shoes/sneakers to the age old PEP vs KO debate. Will there be a shift in the public opinion or is Apple/ ****** too big to fail? I read a lot about the inadequacy of ******s to other competitive products, though it could be propaganda...haha. The ****** needs to stays relevant for APPL sake. Albeit all of this I've written on my ****** so you can probably guess where I stand on that debate for now. I find it user friendly enough to not change to anything else but hear good things about android...

I've been unable to post the link to Apple's website but to see the data I'm referring to search for: 2015 unaudited summary data for details on Apple revenues. This will show you how important the ****** is compared to any other Apple product.

7. crimsonghost747

crimsonghost747 Senior Investor

This is just one of those small things they tried... this time looks like it failed. And I'm not surprised... really... who needs apple pay? Apart from the diehard apple consumers who think it's "cool" to pay with apple pay. But overall I don't think this will have any real effect in their earnings.

8. turt

turt Guest

It's not like they were going to make a lot of money with Pay anyway. I think we'll eventually see smartphone payments as something common but you need to get retailers to carry the technology and that's never easy even if you install them for free.

9. crimsonghost747

crimsonghost747 Senior Investor

It's possible, but really: why do you need to pay with your phone instead of using a credit card? I can't think of a single good reason whereas the security risks are obvious. I just don't think using a credit card is so complicated that it needs to be replaced.

10. turt

turt Guest

The phone can handle and display a lot more data than a credit card. You can load all of your gift cards and credits cards onto your phone, see how much is left and how much you spend on each and you don't have to carry around 11 cards in your wallet/purse. On your phone, you can lock it with a password and lock your pay account with a password. So if someone steals it, it's pretty hard for them to use - there's also a GPS inside to track it. While credit cards and gift cards can be used anywhere and you can't track them.