April: Consumer Spending in United States DOWN 0.1 %

Discussion in 'Stock Market Forum' started by HarryS, May 31, 2014.

1. nashvilleshelby

nashvilleshelby Active Member

I think that it does. There is a lack of surplus for many homes in America now. People are now finding that they do not need all of the gadgets and frozen processed foods.

2. Rosyrain

Rosyrain Senior Investor

I agree @nashvilleshelby! Our family has cut down considerably on the amount of processed foods that we purchase. It is much cheaper overall to buy fresh fruit and veggies...and real food as a whole. It is much healthier too. I have cut down on wasteful spending so much over the last couple of years that it is now the normal thing for me to do now. Instead of making a trip to Old Navy to buy 10 pairs of flip flops that will last me one season, I bought a pair of nice leather sandles that will last me for years. I think when people are spending money now, they are looking for quality and not quantity.

3. Allison2021

Allison2021 Well-Known Member

I believe the indexes. They are scientifically calculated. That slowdown may have been further impacted by the terrible weather or snow blizzards we had in January and February. However, the people I know are going out to dinner the most in three years. They are rehabbing their basements or kitchens. I know of two different couples who bought a condo or house just to get rid of their middle aged adult children who wouldn't move out of the house.

4. JR Ewing

JR Ewing Super Moderator Staff Member

This admin has become notorious for cooking the books.

5. hnatalieann

hnatalieann Guest

I personally have been cutting back where I can. Everything keeps going up and up and it's just ridiculous. Trying to watch everything we spend these days and build our savings back up isn't that easy.