Are alternative houses a good investment?

Discussion in 'Buying & Selling Real Estate' started by springbreeze, Jul 31, 2014.

1. springbreeze

springbreeze Well-Known Member

Do you think alternative, sustainable and eco-friendly houses are good investments?

There has been an increase in these type of homes lately, especially out west. And I have to admit, I'm fascinated by many of them. Some examples are earthships, cob homes, strawbale homes, solar-powered and wind-powered homes, homes with a green roof, homes with gardens inside... There are just so many types, too many to name in this starter post.

What do you think?

2. Rainman

Rainman Senior Investor

I don't think that such houses are a good investment because most people at the present don't care much for the environment. Personally I wouldn't want to live in a straw-bale home but I've heard that more and more people are considering trying eco-friendly products [not eco-friendly homes though]. Should they become popular and there's no telling how long it would take, then probably alternative houses might be a good investment. But before then, it's better to invest in regular houses instead.

3. Gelsemium

Gelsemium Senior Investor

I agree with Rainman, I see those houses as luxuries for the rich people, they spend thousands trying to save cents later, they don't realize how ridiculous and not sustainable that is.

4. Kate

Kate Senior Investor

My thoughts are like the other two posters above me. It may be fun to check into things like this for a personal property you'll be living in, but for purely investment purposes, I'd have to pass on this one. Maybe when these kinds of homes catch on more.

5. al.palacios

al.palacios Member

Maybe not in the short term, and maybe not now. But as time progresses it will be the only way to go. right now the way to go is in the actual production of said houses for it is not really known how much they will factor in the current market.