Are Near Death Experiences Real?

Discussion in 'Religion & Philosophy' started by Rainman, Oct 8, 2015.

1. Rainman

Rainman Senior Investor

You've heard of them. Or could read accounts of NDEs here:

http://ndestories.org

http://listverse.com/2013/09/15/10-astonishing-near-death-experiences/

There was a book written about a boy who died and went to heaven. Later the boy said he'd made everything up. But this happens to be the only person to admit that they lied about having an NDE. However there are a number of people who after having an NDE changed either from being atheist to being religious or converting from one religion to another. Unless they saw something which prompted them to change they wouldn't have, right?

What do you guys think? Are NDEs real? Hallucinations? Or something different?

2. L_B

L_B Well-Known Member

I believe they are real. I don't really want to go into the details of it but I experienced one and I have been a believer ever since. Before it happened I had my doubts about it all but once you have been through it you tend to look at things in a whole different light.

3. kgord

kgord Senior Investor

I think they are real. I just hope if I have a near death experience, it is not the flames of Hell I see. I want to the bright light and to be re united with family members and pets and everything good. It seems like almost all people have the white light experience. I wonder if anyone has ever seen anything different. I only remember reading and hearing about the bright light.

4. Susimi

Susimi Senior Investor

I'm really on the fence about them. I mean there are a lot of accounts of people experiencing them but then other people are saying they just experienced a really lucid hallucination. I really do not know what to make of them. I mean I read an account of a woman who was on mountain hike with a group but got separated from the during a snow storm. She attempted to reach them but her health and energy was rapidly dwindling in increasingly atrocious conditions with near zero visibility. She was trying to find her way back to civilisation and she says she experienced strange instances like a sort of barrier appearing in front of her when she was close to walking off the edge of a drop. I forget for how long she was lost for but when she was found search parties said it was a miracle or impossible that she made it for that long.

Whether this is the same as an NDE I'm not sure but accounts like this certainly make keep a very open mind about these sorts of things.

5. ScooterBrandon

ScooterBrandon Senior Investor

Depends on what you consider "real."
    They are real in the sense that:
    When you are near death, your body releases a whole host of chemicals. Some of these are potent hallucinogenics. So you hallucinate.
    So you will see all sorts of things, that seem real to you and are real in your mind.
    If you mean real as in things that actually happen in reality, outside of one persons mind/perspective/experience , then no, NDE's are not "real."

6. missbishi

missbishi Well-Known Member

I'm with Brandon on this one, I'm pretty sure they are just hallucinations. Granted, they are as real to the person experiencing them as anything but they 're generally a product of near-death chemicals and anoxia.

7. anorexorcist

anorexorcist Well-Known Member

I'm not really sure about this, as Brandon said, NDE's have sort of a scientific explication so, nobody actually knows what happens when you die... And other thing, a lot of people who have had NDE experiences describe the feeling of "dying" differently, I guess that this can variate in order to the religious beliefs of the person.

8. Amin

Amin Guest

eard

But I've heard most of them saw a tunnel and a light and felt like taking off.

9. Rainman

Rainman Senior Investor

Yeah there usually is a tunnel and darkness. Some get drawn into a dark pit while others are drawn to a light and they get to be shown around heaven by angels and finally they are told that they must come back. The strangest NDE I've read is one where a Buddhist monk who'd died purportedly visited hell, came back to life just as his brothers were about to bury him and told them that he'd seen Buddha in hell.

The strange thing about this tale is the monk had died a Buddhist and came back a Christian.

10. Susimi

Susimi Senior Investor

I think I did read about that somewhere or other.

Could NDE's be connected to moments of hysteria at all? I mean like Amin said, many people say they see a tunnel and a light and well maybe it could all be a hysteria induced hallucination of some sort? Not saying people said to experience them are lying, but then again I'm not saying they are telling the truth, I'm just very questionable about them.