are religious people close-minded

Discussion in 'Religion & Philosophy' started by Amin, Aug 5, 2015.

1. Amin

Amin Guest

I mean no offense to any religious person out there and I don't think that's even a bad thing, really? with this big bad world around us it's not easy to be open minded....I mean so many systems we couldn't fully understand, so do you think sticking to a religious system of thinking would make one's mind closed and narrow?

2. Rainman

Rainman Senior Investor

Being religious doesn't make one narrow-minded. IMHO, it's those who would dismiss the existence of the supernatural without having adequate proof who might be narrow-minded. An open-minded person would explore all possibilities [the existence of an afterlife, spirit beings, etc] objectively.

3. Sunflogun

Sunflogun Well-Known Member

I feel the religious people are close minded yes. We would expect a big heart from religious people, but many times it's exactly the opposite. Sure, it depends on the religion, but many times that is the case.

4. MNyte

MNyte Member

Religious people are close minded - most. Seriously, the strong belief that there is a savior or a what-not way to live forever is really agitating. If you use logic, why would god make the earth the anomaly? Why would he make humans that dominant animals? So no one can say that there is or is not a god, because nobody knows for sure, but why make that ruin your life

5. crimsonghost747

crimsonghost747 Senior Investor

Some religious people are very close minded. Keyword is some. There are those who accept what their religious writings say as the one and only possible solution and that is not only being close minded but also simply being idiotic. However most do understand that it's not necessarily the truth and realise that other religions could be right too.
    So yes, there are a lot of those but being religious doesn't automatically make you close minded.

6. Amin

Amin Guest

I used to practice Islam a few years ago, so I guess I did consider the existense of the supernatural but how can one explore it....there are some things in life that a person needs to realize on his own, and this is one of them.

7. anorexorcist

anorexorcist Well-Known Member

It depends, but I think that there's more religious people who are closed minded than open minded... I have met just few of them who are not that restricts about their ideals and sometimes they kind of respect diversity, but the other ones are offensive towards people who don't fit into their standards, but is just my experience. And I can't blame them, that's how they were raised and it's hard to open their minds if they are already that way.

8. JessieJ

JessieJ Guest

I believe that religious people are close minded. That doesn't really mean their brainwashed though or it is intentionally done to them. It's mainly because that person has been part of that religion for so long that it becomes part of their lives.

9. TheApollonian

TheApollonian Well-Known Member

Some religions want their followers to have a small and simple mind to keep them under control, it's not their fault if they're born into it. But if you chose to be under a religion/cult by choice then you are choosing to be close-minded because the philosophy of these places are not entirely good, they will banish or kill anyone against them in the name of their beliefs. There are radicalists and there are peace-keeping religions, there are opinions and faiths out there that are different from your own and you will have to judge whether they're bad or good.

10. PipCurrencies

PipCurrencies Well-Known Member

Heh, heh. I wonder how closed minded some of the opinions here are on the subject. I'm pretty closed minded about beating my children