are religious people close-minded

Discussion in 'Religion & Philosophy' started by Amin, Aug 5, 2015.

1. gmckee1985

gmckee1985 Senior Investor

Of course some religious people are close minded. But close mindedness is not only prevalent among religious people. Thats a silly stereotype.

2. Gloryontheway

Gloryontheway Guest

A religious person is a person that is spiritual and believes in God or a higher power. A religious person follows the belief of the practice that they have selected. Now, I don't believe anybody that is closed minded would be considered a religious person. A closed minded person is someone who firmly resist new ideas. Anyone that believes in God should be like God. God is peaceful, kind, loving, patient, filled with joy, good, gentle, and faithful. God is our Father in Heaven. God is not closed minded. And a truly religious person should not be closed minded either.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 8, 2016
  3. User911

User911 Well-Known Member

I think being "religious" or "open or closed" minded is neither here nor there. So what is important? Oddly enough, not the followers of a faith, but the LEADER of a faith. I think for the most part, followers are supposed to emulate the leader. I sincerely wish that people would crack open the New Testament and find out what Jesus Christ was all about and what He truly taught. But no, most people spend their time criticizing His followers because they fail to be perfect. Jesus was the ONLY one to be perfect and He's going to be the only one who was perfect here on this planet. That's why we're all in the same boat. We all have failed and we need someone to reconcile each one of us to God again. That is what Jesus did on the Cross. He took our place and took the punishment of our sins and placed them on His shoulders. Now we can live under Grace. Jesus was a very radical man (in a good way) during the time He was here. He was very different from the status quo. He asked people to aim higher in life, to grow in character and integrity. If people would but read about what He was really like, I think a lot would be surprised.

4. JoshPosh

JoshPosh Guest

I tend to look at it a step further out then most. I think some people are close minded in general. It doesn't have to be about religion. It can be of other subjects as well.

There are three things that people will be close minded about no matter what the science or numbers tell them. It is politics, nutrition, and you guessed it....religion.

5. PipCurrencies

PipCurrencies Well-Known Member

Hey Josh, your assertion is kinda funny because the religion of science is pretty prone to believing hypotheses that are not proven true as though they are fact. Just looking at the statistical possibility that the universe's existence came to be out of nothing from nothing is on the same exact unprovable level as a creator. It takes an equal amount of faith to believe in the one AND the other - and neither are provable. So isn't the scientist just as close minded about the idea of a creator as the man of faith is about the scientific hypothesis?

However, just as Archie Bunker said. "My mind's made up, don't confuse me with the facts!"

6. SteakTartare

SteakTartare Senior Investor

In what bizarre-o world is the scientific method a religion? The scientific method is a diverse body of techniques for the investigation of natural phenomena in order to obtain new knowledge based upon the measurable evidence found. Religion is a supernatural-based belief system that rests upon faith.

7. PipCurrencies

OK, you may be right. Is it I who is being closed minded here?

8. SteakTartare

SteakTartare Senior Investor

Oh, I don't think you're being closed-minded. I was just wondering why anyone would classify science as a religion. They are very different fields.

9. gracer

gracer Senior Investor

I think the problem with these religions is the way they divide people. One religion says they're the rightest kind and the others also say the same, which in turn causes division among people when it shouldn't. I do agree that some are closed-minded to believing that their particular religion says the truth and the others don't. Some are also open-minded to respect and listen to what other religions have to say. But in my own opinion, the teachings of religion shouldn't be the basis of a person's thoughts but rather what his/her heart feels is just and what his/her mind thinks is right, basing on the experiences he/she had in his/her life.

10. PipCurrencies

I just consider faith faith regardless of the object, subject, or field. Once we humans believe something we tend to allow our minds to close ( or be made up). I tend to see some "scientists" as close minded about the purported results of their findings as some religious ppl are their purported evidences for their faith.