Are Religious People Happier?

Discussion in 'Religion & Philosophy' started by Rainman, Aug 26, 2015.

1. Rainman

Rainman Senior Investor

Religious people are supposed to be happier than all the others because unlike irreligious folks they have the promise of an afterlife that's filled with eternal joy. Just looking forward to it should fill everyone with joy all the time because they know the outcome — at the end of it all, there's happiness.

Would any of you say that religious people are happier than atheists?

2. pwarbi

pwarbi Senior Investor

I dint know about happier, I think that depends on the person themselves rather than what they believe or dint believe in.

Some religious people will have a sense of happiness because they have something to believe in, a faith, but atheists can also be happy living day to day and not worrying to much about what will happen in the future aswell.

3. manoharb

manoharb Senior Investor

Who will decide that ? Who is religious and who is not-Religious ? I don't knew, I am Religious or not. Because, word is a gamble, which can create many definitions of word 'Religion'. but, I knew, Improvisation is key of my life and when i will stop that . Religion and Human inside me, no more exist.

4. Hyperion

Hyperion Well-Known Member

Yes, certainly, but it isn't always 'happiness' so much as it is joy (the happiness of expectation). Life is hard for everyone, and even Christians like myself get down (especially considering where I was coming from before I found Jesus), but yeah, I am a much happier person because of it.

The more you study the Bible and realize what God has in store for the future, the more joy you have because it is going to be amazing. It just takes a sacrifice many people are not willing to do for various reasons. I promise you it is worth it though.

5. Rosyrain

Rosyrain Senior Investor

I think that they are happier because they can set aside their problems thinking that God will fix it all and they don't have to worry about anything. There is the thing called free will and people also need to work on solutions to their own problems.

6. Hyperion

Hyperion Well-Known Member

Rosy, that is just blatant ignorance and misunderstanding of Biblical principles. Please study up on your exegesis before you write such nonsense. God does not promise to fix everyone's problems in this life at all.

Why do you think there are so many Christian hospitals and charities? Did you know the St. Bernard breed of dogs was bred by a monk trying to help people who got trapped in the Swiss Alps.

Show some respect. You know nothing.

7. Corzhens

Corzhens Senior Investor

From the very religious people whom I know, I would say that they are happy. But happier is relative, depending on the comparand. I am a religious person but not very religious and my faith gives me comfort and peace of mind although I am a normal person who also have suffering of mind and body. But I also know some people who are not religious at all but who seem to be happy in their life. So I guess that religion is not a big factor when it comes to happiness of the person.

8. JoshPosh

JoshPosh Guest

This is a big grey area. There is no yes or no answer with this question. Do you think ISIS members are happy with their lives and their surroundings? I highly doubt it with the death, destruction, and their views on the religious diversification in the world. Everyone who said yes, to the OP, think about that. Sure there are happy Christians out there that are happy and feel blessed and go out of their way to help everyone in need, but if you look outside of that, religions is one of the main variables for violence. Adolf Hitler was a devoted Christian, did he seems happy when he ordered the death of millions of Jews? Does ISIS preach joy when they rape and plunder wherever they go?

Think about that.

9. SteakTartare

SteakTartare Senior Investor

I've read a number of studies that indicate religious people can have a better quality of life (e.g., longevity, social support, etc.). On the flip side, there are higher cases of obesity and some mental health issues. All and all, at least in the western world, it appears to be a net benefit.

That doesn't mean the religious claims are true or false, of course. Personally, I take a live and let live policy. If a faith or religious community makes one happy, I am truly and sincerely happy for them. At this point in my life, I just don't see any reason to participate in that kind of thing though.

10. TheApollonian

TheApollonian Well-Known Member

If that's true then I need to be religious quick. What I found is that some religious people have great anxieties and paranoias and some atheists are incredibly happy and secure with their lives without God. It's not really about your religion but your faith towards yourself, other people or a god you believe in (or not). Religious hippy communes though seem much more happier than the temple types. LOL