Are Religious People Happier?

Discussion in 'Religion & Philosophy' started by Rainman, Aug 26, 2015.

1. Rainman

Rainman Senior Investor

There are some Christians who are so terrified of the possibility of ending up in hell that they choose to lead an ascetic life hoping that their sacrifices will be rewarded with eternal life. Christianity teaches kindness. If someone is kind, helps everyone when they can, they'll be relatively happier than everyone else because kindness itself begets more acts of kindness. You reap the rewards long before you die . . .

2. Amin

Amin Guest

Happier? not sure but they're definitely vain and stubborn and believe whatever they say is right...because they practice religion and God is happy with them so they become vain and almost impossible to deal with unless ignored...

3. jbepp

jbepp Member

I personally don't think that religious people are happier. Sure, some of them are happier, but not all of them. Religion should be something that you feel rather than think, and I think that's what some people fail to understand. I feel like both sides have some people full of themselves that want to prove the other side wrong, but they fail to understand that science and religion cater to completely different parts of our existence.

4. kgord

kgord Senior Investor

I think it depends on the person and their particular belief system. I have known some religious people who were definitely happier than the average and some who were less so. In general, I think religious people are more content because not only do they have the support system their religion brings, but they believe in the after life that holds so much promise. I don't think any blanket statements about the happiness of people can be made though.

5. FrankieD

FrankieD Well-Known Member

This is almost like asking if someone stoned and giggling is happier than the average person sweeping a floor. YES, in at least one way, or some sense, they are going to be happier because they don't have to deal with the true reality of a harsh world. They shut their pain switch off with a drug. They don't have accept responsibility for a harsh world it because it's all in God's hands and part of His plan. If they pray to Insta-Buddy they can be a little happier right on the spot, seemingly indifferent to the immense failure rate of prayer for the several kids who died just now, somewhere, by the time you finished reading this post. Or wait a minute, maybe THEIR prayer was answered because they are special or their faith was stronger than any of those dead kids and grieving parents. Normally this type of psychopathic conditioning is from a local society and/or parents that figuratively stick a big tranquilizer dart right up their rear ends.

Atheists, on the other hand, can be very happy but they know that the burden falls upon humans to fix real problems in a real way, because all we have is each other. So when someone dies, no, we aren't as happy as the lunatic next to us who keeps acting as if they know the dead person is "in a better place."

We get happy with what is real and deal with it. Religious people are apparently so happy they feel OK with almost never even reading the whole book from the Creator of the Universe, yet are so drugged they claim to fully believe in it. You have to have a switch loose somewhere to actually believe you will go to Heaven, Jesus is coming and all that jazz, yet think actually reading the Book from your God is NOT worth doing. Games, movies, sex, and biking are apparently more important than the word of your Lord. But as long as you telepathically communicate once in a while to the right dead prophet, you're in.

Yah, I'd like to be THAT happy. Well I can. I just have to get stoned.

Last edited: Aug 30, 2015
  6. norms options

norms options Well-Known Member

I think, religious or not, we all have our good days and bad days. The blessing that comes with faith is that it is easier to get through the tough times. Does this mean that religious folks are happier?? I don't really think so, but the peace that comes with living a life of faith is a lot better than the stress that comes with thinking we are in total control of everything or relying on monetary gains to measure success.

7. anorexorcist

anorexorcist Well-Known Member

It depends on the person, an atheist/agnostic can live a really happy life without believing in God or something that is not an specific God, because some people don't really need something superior to believe for being completely happy, but a lot of religious people consider their religion as a big part of their happiness...so it really depends on the person.

8. nissi

nissi Well-Known Member

No they are not. Only those who are truly saved through Jesus Christ have TRUE peace that this world can't give.

9. Alex

Alex Senior Investor

Some religious people are happier as they have something to believe in, yet, I find those who prefer ignorance can be much happier. They don't have anything to look up to, or doctrines to abide by. Sometimes a simple life is much happier, than one with rules, ideals, and limitations, although some people may feel they need them.

10. 111kg

111kg Guest

Oh, really, so...when does Jesus save me? I honestly think that "being saved" is just a thing Christian people throw in the face of other people just to feel superior. Even if there was a God or even a Christ, they wouldn't save you, but rather expect you to save yourself following their indications. I don't understand how people can still fall for this.