Are things meant to be?

Discussion in 'Religion & Philosophy' started by Rosyrain, Sep 13, 2015.

1. Rosyrain

Rosyrain Senior Investor

Are you one of those people who believe that things are meant to happen to you or are meant to be? I have been having this happen to me a lot lately. Things I wanted did not happen, but they made way for things I did not know I wanted happening to me.

2. kgord

kgord Senior Investor

Whether things are pre destined or not, ie fate, is a matter of opinion. I think that many things are in our control. However, some things may be a matter of genetics, or coincidence, and are things we can't control. I guess I would say what happens to you is a combination of fate and your choices. So, it is not exclusively one or another.

3. Corzhens

Corzhens Senior Investor

I used to question why it happened particularly the sad events in my life. But when I matured, I had developed that attitude of acceptance and believing in destiny or fate. It may not be true or correct but having that attitude frees me from bondage of sad events. In other words, I can easily move on when I accept failures and other misfortunes in my life. What's the use of blaming myself? That's only adding insult to injury. Like when someone dies, I grieve but not for long because I am able to accept the loss.

4. pwarbi

pwarbi Senior Investor

To some extent, I think everybody us able to influence their own life and affect the way things will turn out, but I also think that fate does exist, and sometimes, no matter what you do, things will just turn out the way they're meant to be.

5. Rainman

Rainman Senior Investor

I believe that some things are meant to be. Sometimes I wonder if free will really exists but I'm certain it does but within specific boundaries. For example if you were born to be a teacher, you could try everything else, fail, decide to be a teacher and find out after a few months that this is what you were always meant to be. You destiny can't be changed.

6. TheApollonian

TheApollonian Well-Known Member

I no longer have any daydreams about life and I just hang on to what I can accomplish in real life. Fate to me is a bit fantastical and magical-- sure it gives me direction to what I really desire but I have to ask myself am I doing the right thing? Nothing is meant to be if it's bad. Everything good in this world was started with blood, sweat and tears.

7. crimsonghost747

crimsonghost747 Senior Investor

No, I don't believe that our destiny is already written. You have a choice.. and every choice affects the outcome of your life and the lives of others around you to some extent. So with millions of people making choices each minute... well the only way you can believe in destiny is if you don't believe in free will.

8. Amin

Amin Guest

It's reasonable that every decision we make leads to something, whether we wanted it or not, sometimes there comes a good thing that we didn't expected, but that doesn't mean that it was meant to be that way...

9. mooray

mooray Well-Known Member

Sometimes I do not believe in that nonsense talk but sometimes I do especially when something good comes out of a bad experience. One thing I know for sure is the experience you go through today, will shape your future tomorrow. There are people who would probably be great visionaries but they ended up drunk on the roadside with no else at their side. The choices you make is what determines who you will become.

10. Rainman

Rainman Senior Investor

It could be argued that people have freewill. It's the choices they make which determine what happens to them later in life but remember everyone elsewhere also has freewill. The choices they make will affect you whether you like it or not. Much as someone may not have wanted to do something, they'd be forced to do it because choices others made compel them to.

So whether or not destiny is predetermined, what others do affects us so either way, our destiny ultimately, is determined by our environment.