Assad Making Nuclear Weapons?

Discussion in 'Politics Discussion' started by Rainman, Jan 10, 2015.

1. Rainman

Rainman Senior Investor

It's hard to trust everything you see on the net but apparently some news sources have it that Assad is building a nuclear plant and that would mean only one thing — he wants to make nuclear weapons. And with them he'd . . . what would he do with them?

http://news.yahoo.com/intelligence-indicates-assad-building-nuclear-plant-report-214754327.html
    And once terrorists lay their hands on nuclear bombs . . .

2. SteakTartare

SteakTartare Senior Investor

That is very troubling indeed. Considering how beleaguered that dying regime is, it isn't too surprising. It is odd that the Iranians and North Koreans are batscat enough to help. Crazy stuff considering that's ISIS' home turf.

3. Rainman

Rainman Senior Investor

We'll make the assumption that Assad intends to use the nuclear weapons to destroy the rebels and maybe ISIS. But because he's helped the Hezbollah militants in the past and the active role they take to guard the secret project seems to suggest that they expect to get a few of those weapons so they can attempt to attack Israel with them. But now that the secret project has been unmasked and Israel knows that they'll be the target, I'm sure they'll neutralize this threat effectively.

4. dianethare

dianethare Senior Investor

...and Russia too got the key to these weapons too...right?!, mankind is the main spectator watching wide-eyed as the world gets lit-up, blast and burn to ashes...the furnace is being readied :(...completely disturbing.

5. Muthoni

Muthoni Guest

There is nothing as bad as someone with a lot of money and plenty of time to do as he pleases. I hope that the nuclear weapon project does not become successful. It is very worrying to live next to someone preparing to attack you at any moment. What is there to do; live one day at a time and hope for the very best?

6. tournique

tournique Well-Known Member

It is very troubling to hear this, but hte US will most likely disarm them before they make any real progress.

7. Gelsemium

Gelsemium Senior Investor

Syria is at war like, forever? And there is no end at sight, but using nuclear weapons is not the solution really. The international community should look at this more closely.

8. zenfive

zenfive Member

I really doubt Syria will be able to develop nuclear weapons capabilities, I'm sure world powers will intervene and will not let that happen, especially since it isn't very easy to keep such a project under wraps. But who knows, when you have countries like Russia, China and Iran by your side, they certainly would not be short of expertise on the matter. They've also been accused of using chemical weapons in the past, so I guess we don't really know the lengths they are willing to go to.

9. Rainman

Rainman Senior Investor

I think they've either made the nuclear weapons or bought some from somewhere [Iran or N. Korea maybe]. The reason I think they do is this:
    http://www.jpost.com/Arab-Israeli-C...ven-imagine-Hezbollahs-weapons-arsenal-387731
    It suggests that they have nuclear weapons which they can use against Israel. Something that would guarantee victory should there be a war. Since Assad has been in cahoots with Hezbollah my belief is that he procured the weapons and gave them some. And now they are trying more of the same [so they don't have to buy any, in future].

10. SamClemensMT

SamClemensMT Well-Known Member

I wouldn't blame him (President Asad) for using a tactical nuke against ISIS. I would do it myself if I were in his shoes. Let's face it atomic weapons are ancient technology by now (60 years since the Manhattan Project). The day will finally come when terrorist will have access to these weapons. Do you think they won't use them against us then?