Aubrey McClendon - The Death of an Oil Tycoon

Discussion in 'Commodities Forum' started by gracer, Mar 13, 2016.

1. gracer

gracer Senior Investor

Aubrey McClendon, the man who has been known famously for his Chesapeake Energy business which earned him billions of dollars has died on March 2 after a fatal car crash in Oklahoma. He was supposed to be in a private dinner with potential business partners but he never arrived at the exclusive Beacon Club. Investigators are still looking into the events that took place during the car crash.

McClendon has been known to have greatly impacted Oklahoma City when he was still the CEO of Chesapeake so flags flew half-staff for almost a week in institutions and businesses as a sign of mourning for his death.

Here's the recent article on McClendon's final days:

http://www.reuters.com/article/us-aubrey-mcclendon-specialreport-idUSKCN0WD27N

2. rz3300

rz3300 Guest

That is certainly a sad story and I am sorry for his family and loved ones. I do not know that much about the man but it sounds like he meant a lot to Oklahoma City which has really blossomed in the last couple of decades or so and I am sure that he has had some part in that. I am interested to read a little more into this, so thank you for the share.

3. kgord

kgord Senior Investor

Well, I think this was probably a disguised suicide. He was indicted at the time of his death and i think he knew he was guilty, rather than put himself and his family through all of that embarassment. I think he decided suicide was the better way. It is too bad, but in the end, we all make our own choices good or bad, and there
    are repercussions.

4. gracer

gracer Senior Investor

It really is sad how at one moment, you are one of the most bankable millionaires on earth and then the other everything you've worked hard for means nothing anymore because you're already gone. I also think that maybe there's more to the story of McClendon's death knowing his recent case and other business problems so let's wait ans see how the investigation would go. It's just sad especially for the people he has somehow helped with his oil and gas business. Although he faced some cases before he died, no one can argue with the fact that he has done a great positive impact for the city of Oklahoma and he has earned people's respect with that.

5. JR Ewing

JR Ewing Super Moderator Staff Member

He was a real-life JR Ewing. :(