Bad Weather Can Affect Stock Market

Discussion in 'The Cocktail Lounge' started by Rainman, Nov 10, 2015.

1. Rainman

Rainman Senior Investor

According to researchers bad weather can affect the stock market negatively. The study which reveals that bad weather triggers mild depression that distracts "even the most sophisticated of investors."

http://www.fox28.com/story/30472784...r-can-affect-the-stock-market-investor-advice
    . . . according to researchers brokerage-firm analysts experiencing bad weather were nine to 18-percent less likely to issue an annual earnings forecast, recommendation to buy, hold or sell, or make target-price recommendations.

2. pwarbi

pwarbi Senior Investor

I hadn't really thought about the effects of weather on something like the stock market, but I guess if the bad weather affects people's moods, the stock market relies on people, so it is going to have a knock on effect I guess.

3. baudwalk

baudwalk Senior Investor

I love these one-off stories with sweeping generalities and no specificity. Limited to the USA or global? Length of study? Time period? In a period of market growth or recession? In recent times I can only recall the New York markets closing for periods of days is 9-11 and Superstorm Sandy. An occasional snowstorm may slow things for a few hours as some personnel fight their way into work. This "study" as reported? Forget about it. Pfft.

4. crimsonghost747

crimsonghost747 Senior Investor

Well yeah, I guess bad weather can affect a person's mood and that can change their point of view when analysing companies. While it's a poor study, at least it's one more reason to disregard all of those analyst price estimates. :D

5. pwarbi

pwarbi Senior Investor

Agreed, and not only is it a poor study, but what's the point of it again, and why would somebody care?

Studies like this just prove to me only a couple of things. People have too much time on their hands and too much money with nothing to spend it on.