Baseball season.

Discussion in 'The Cocktail Lounge' started by gmckee1985, Feb 23, 2016.

1. gmckee1985

gmckee1985 Senior Investor

So, we're about a month and a half away from the start of baseball season. Anybody else a huge fan of the sport? It's my favorite, along with football. Root for a couple of teams. Atlanta and the Yankees. I'm a hardcore Braves fan, but root for the Yankees as well, because I am a fan of their history, and the Braves are in a rebuild period, so I need someone to root for on the side. Not a lot of people my age seem to be into baseball, but I love it. It moves a bit slow for some people, but if you really pay attention its quite interesting.

2. kgord

kgord Senior Investor

I like baseball quite a bit in person, but I could never handle watching it on TV. It just moves too slow for my liking. When I was a kid, every Saturday in the summer for years, it was Pittsburgh Pirate baseball, announced by Bob Prince. It just seemed like those games would go on forever. I liked watching football a lot more do to the fast action.

3. nissi

nissi Well-Known Member

I'm not a big fan of sports. But if I had to choose one to watch, it'd be baseball. I played it a lot in high school too, it's fun.

4. gmckee1985

gmckee1985 Senior Investor

This is a common criticism of baseball, and I get it. I can understand how if you didn't play the sport, or you're not much into it, games can seem to drag along for hours. We don't have much patience as a society. And that's a big reason why the MLB doesn't get nearly the television ratings that the NFL gets. But baseball attendance is quite high, and a lot of people seem to enjoy the atmosphere on a baseball game than they do watching it on TV.

5. crimsonghost747

crimsonghost747 Senior Investor

Wait you're talking about american football here?! The game with about 5 seconds of play followed by 40 seconds of nothing happening? That is a fast game!?
    Don't get me wrong, I love watching the NFL but it's everything except a fast game. :D

6. pwarbi

pwarbi Senior Investor

I've watched a lot of NFL games and I wasn't actually sure how it could be described as a fast game either. There's more adverts than actual playing time for a start but I guess that's what you get when an organization sells out to the media and broadcasting companies.

7. rz3300

rz3300 Guest

I have to say that I am always torn when it comes to baseball, because I love the game and always have and loved playing it growing up, but no matter how much I think I am excited for the season I watch one game and remember how slow it is. I know that is part of what makes it great, but it just does not fit into a days schedule like it used to, for me at least. I do miss playing it though, and I wish I could go back in time for one day and play center field.

8. crimsonghost747

crimsonghost747 Senior Investor

Yeah the whole thing with the ads is a bit overdone. Then again, you do have those pauses for reasons relating to the game, so I guess it's better to just shove it full of ads instead of showing replays etc. One good option is the NFL red zone, where they always switch onto a game that's in the red zone (if there is one) and then switch between games when there is a small pause. It's kind of hard to follow but you pretty much see just football without any pauses in between.

9. kgord

kgord Senior Investor

I agree with watching baseball in person though. That can be a lot of fun. The crowd atmosphere is exciting. I also like going to semi pro or minor league games, as the chance to see the players close up is fun. Also, they are generally cheaper, and you don't have to go as far. I love it when they have dollar game and hot dog night! lol

10. Rosyrain

Rosyrain Senior Investor

I am a fan of football, but I could really care less about baseball. I find it boring to watch and my team, the Mariners, have not done good at all the last few years. I do get excited though because baseball season means spring and summer are coming.