BBRY - Blackberry what do you think?

Discussion in 'Stock Market Forum' started by JadeDoo, Oct 29, 2014.

1. JadeDoo

JadeDoo Well-Known Member

What do you guys think of blackberry, it's upcoming products and the turn around story.

Not too long ago, I reentered into blackberry 200 shares @ around $10 bucks and have a bull spread option on it as well.

2. JR Ewing

JR Ewing Super Moderator Staff Member

Where you been, stranger?

I'm staying away from them at this time. I would like to see them be a force again though. I made lots of money with them in the past.

3. JadeDoo

I am in so deep in Blackberry. Bought in like 5 times on multiple dips including today again at opening. A little too much for comfort because you don't want to end up putting all your moment in one basket.

But with that said mid-term to long-term prospect, I am very bullish on. The company is cheap, it's 5 billion in Market Cap and over 3 billion of that is in Cash. They have no debt mind you. If anything I think the brand and the 4,000+ patent portfolio can be argued to be worth more than 2 Billion dollars already.

It's a turn around company that's no longer bleeding gas, even though people might still remember the old days but truth be told, it's a totally different company now. It's return to it's base to focus on enterprise. Moving towards being a service and software provider and not a handset seller. Just looking at their commercials you can get a sense of the companies new direction. And to say the least Blackberry now has strong management. John Chen has been able to do everything he's said thus far, haul bleeding of cash and this quarter made a tiny bit of money. The first time for blackberry in 3 years. Devices released were successful with no delays unlike the godforsaken playbook and even Q10.

If you don't have a position today, I recommend to to buy. Unless the whole market comes crashing, I don't think you'll see Blackberry in the $10 for very long.

4. Investor

Investor Well-Known Member

:-/ $10 per share in comparison to the other companies on the stock market? wow, that's bad! But anyway, I'm sure Blackberry made hugeeeeee profits in their glory days, much like what Apple is doing currently,I mean can you all remember when Apple was struggling? and with the Steve Jobs stint, became one of the biggest technological companies in the world...wow! I believe in BB and I believe that they can bounce back, but! for all those who want a smartphone and can't afford one without purchasing an affordable BB, I know they would want the price of BB to stay where it is.

5. JadeDoo

... what you just said made so little sense to me.

6. troutski

troutski Guest

BlackBerry is struggling to turn itself around. It's released two devices geared toward physical keyboards and the features that made BlackBerry popular in its prime. Unfortunately, that's not enough, and the company should pursue its recent plans of getting out of the consumer hardware business. The company needs to focus upon enterprise solutions and maybe a little hardware for businesses only in order to regain some past glory. Even that might not be enough.

7. richc3

richc3 Senior Investor

I think there's a number of good short term trades for this company, but long term is still uncertain and I'd be concerned holding on for too long. I'd honestly play the dips if anything. As of late though, they've been having lots of reasonably positive news and there has been a lot of fixation towards the software side of the business rather than hardware. Software naturally has some amazing margins. If I'm not mistaken, they're also sitting on 2 billion in cash so they're not exactly going broke, yet.

8. JR Ewing

JR Ewing Super Moderator Staff Member

It shot up towards the end of the day one day last week on the buyout rumors that turned out to be false. It would have been a great selling opportunity.

9. Onionman

Onionman Senior Investor

It's such a speculative stock that it's not on my radar any more. It's fallen so far behind in the market that whatever products they roll out now, there are 10 competitors bringing out the same or better. There will always be an entrenched user base, but it's not entrenched enough to move the dial.

10. queenbellevue

queenbellevue Well-Known Member

I'm not sure Blackberry's a good investment right now, they haven't shown enough potential for a comeback yet I don't think. I didn't even know they released new products? I'm still gonne be sticking to Samsung and Apple, neither of which seem to be slowing down