BBRY - Blackberry what do you think?

Discussion in 'Stock Market Forum' started by JadeDoo, Oct 29, 2014.

1. Flexin

Flexin Member

They needed to bring out a Blackberry 10 phone with a keyboard. They should have released one with Blackberry 10. If Blackberry 10 was released on time and came out with two new phones, the Classic and the Z10, they would be much better off.

I'm on my on my third Blackberry phone. I have owned the Bold 9000, Torch 9810 and the Z10. I head on to the Torch for a while waiting on news of Bold or Torch style BB10 phone. After hearing that they couldn't get the slider version working right and that it wouldn't be released I ended up going to the z10. I miss my keyboard at times but don't want to lose screen real estate. I'm personally waiting on a all touch screen replacement to the Z10 and Z30. And if you check forums on Blackberry phones you will see there are many others as well. Some like me will wait as long as my current phone is working. But some will only wait so long. I believe that they have to release a new all touch BB10 phone this year. This is very important. They need to keep physical keyboards as well because I feel a percentage of their market demands it. They also do it best. But they have to keep an all touch phone in the line up.

It seems like John Chen has what it takes to turn things around. He has been doing that but it will be a while before we find out if things have completely turned around. They are also adding new revenue streams. For anyone that doesn't know, Blackberry released BBM for iOS and Android. This is a free app for them. This was done last year.

This year they are adding to it. By the sounds of it they will be running ads on BBM. I'm not a huge fan of that but we will see how they do it. But they are allowing a ad free payment options. I hear rumors that it will be $1.99 a month to go ad free.

Another paid feature is custom pins. BBM has a pin that is yours. You can give that to people to add you. Well they will be offing an option to have your own custom pin that you select. This will be a paid monthly feature.

If those are well received the they could start bringing back money that was lost when the old Blackberry plan fees were lost.

I think it would it could be a good investment but I would be nervous keeping money in there too long. It might be something to keep an eye on.

James

2. petesede

petesede Guest

Yep, this is my thoughts as well. Everything that made them famous is gone and they have been passed by by better products. They have new stuff, and a new focus, but in that regard they are just 1 of a hundred companies competing that has an ´old´sounding name and a slightly bad reputation. I am not sure the value of their patents, but I guess the majority of them relate to their consumer hand-held market, which is dead now.

3. Flexin

Flexin Member

I have to disagree with the last part. A patent doesn't just protect their own phone (which you think is dead), but it protects that one feature. And as far as that feature or design goes, it doesn't matter if they sell 1 phone or a million. It stops someone from using it. If a company wants to use it they need to license it or buy the patent. So the patents they hold could be very important.

Just check the news. Blackberry had a lot of patents that interest other companies. They say the security ones are some of the most desirable.

Blackberry just won a lawsuit against the Typo ****** keyboard case. And I believe they have a case against them for the second version as well. That company is backed by Ryan Seacrest. Typo was ordered to pay $860000 in the first lawsuit. That right there shows you the value of patents.

Blackberry was always famous for their keyboard and their security. That are in the top or near it for both of these categories.

James

4. StockIdeas

StockIdeas Guest

Good bounce off strong 9.53 triple support area on Friday

Attached Files: