Beach Houses as an Investment Property?

Discussion in 'Buying & Selling Real Estate' started by tspires2, Jun 17, 2014.

1. caparica007

caparica007 Well-Known Member

Yeah, location if very important, it's not enough to say, a house by the beach, but more, a house in which beach? An analyses of the fluctuation of the real estate in that area in the last years is very important.

2. Investor

Investor Well-Known Member

When I hear, beach house...I immediately think, personal use! I've never thought of a beach house to be an investment instrument, Let me explain, when I think of a beach house, I think of a already well built beach house which needs no renovations, now, if you are buying that, the most you can do with it is rent it to people who can afford the rent, after that, what's left? it's all to your own enjoyment, but! if you locate a beach house, that needs renovations, and you and a team of real estate agents project that this property will increase in value if additions are made, then of course that will be a good investment, even Warren Buffet himself may have taken a shot at that! :) But generally, I think the rich doesn't use beach homes as a tool of investment, per se, they obtain it for mere pleasure.

3. Gelsemium

Gelsemium Senior Investor

I think most of us think like that, but even if it is for our personal use it can be a great investment that we can sell or rent later.

4. springbreeze

springbreeze Well-Known Member

That's a tricky question... many variables to consider. The best beach house investment you can make is in an up-and-coming beach town where the prices are still low and there is still lots of room to make a bundle. In this case, the longer you keep it, the more you will make. Also, investing this way will insure that costs for upkeep and/or weather damage will be returned to you in profit.

5. caparica007

caparica007 Well-Known Member

I feel that investing in a beach house is always a win-win situation because beach properties always tend to value, I'd do it if I had the capital.

6. Gelsemium

That can be true in some cases, just make sure you can pay for that investment, if a crisis appears you just might lose the house and all you invested in it, so prudence is always our friend.

7. dianethare

dianethare Senior Investor

Am taking to say that beach houses are seasonal then...right?...what of turning it around to a resort?...would that up the investment percentage somehow?...just asking :)

8. shilpa123

shilpa123 Banned

I think beach house is good idea for investment property. A lot of people would be interested to buy it hence the demand will be also higher. I think it can be quite useful to lot of people.

9. Gelsemium

That's a fact, they are seasonal, in the summer time they cost a lot, but in the rest of the year they tend to be empty, so that is something very important to consider before making such a decision.

10. Determined2014

Determined2014 Guest

The value is higher and maintaining it too is costly, but at the end of the day, you will end up making more than what you have soend on it, so it is a good investment.