Beach Houses as an Investment Property?

Discussion in 'Buying & Selling Real Estate' started by tspires2, Jun 17, 2014.

1. SteakTartare

SteakTartare Senior Investor

This is going to really depend on a lot of factors. However, in general, a property with water, really any water (beach front, lake, stream, etc.), is going to do better than those that don't. Ocean front is very nice indeed. One thing to check out beforehand, depending on where you are in the country, is what your home owner's insurance is going to look like in that locale. I have a business associate that has properties all over the American South. Some of the insurance costs for homes on the Gulf Coast will induce sticker shock.

2. Gelsemium

Gelsemium Senior Investor

At first it seems awesome, but like I said above these days not many people can afford a second place and living the whole time by the beach is not for everyone.

3. shilpa123

shilpa123 Banned

Beach house and would be a dream come true. I would totally love to live in one. I think it is quite a good thing to own or invest upon.

4. missbishi

missbishi Well-Known Member

I'm not sure if it's such a great idea right now. The state of the economy is pretty bad right now and people just don't have the same amount of disposable income. Pair this with the fact that you won't be able to generate the same income all year round and it seems quite off-putting.

5. Rosyrain

Rosyrain Senior Investor

We thought about buying a beach home for some extra income a while ago, but found that they are very small and very expensive for what we can afford. We opted not to go this route because we would hardly get to use the house. I am not sure that there would be much appreciation either to make it worth buying just to sell down the road.

6. Profit5500

Profit5500 Senior Investor

Just make sure that your beach is not going to get washed down by the water. I think beach houses can be lovely, but you have to be able to shell out the money to live in one. I do not want to be on the losing end if a tsunami were to sweep your beach house away.

7. Fredrick Jones

Fredrick Jones Well-Known Member

You have to check the location, and most importantly check the beach itself. Check to see if the beach receeding or advancing. Ideally you should find maps/photos of the beach for the last 10 to 20 years and check the general trend of the beach. If the beach is located close to the mouth of a large river, generally speaking it will advance as more sediment gets deposited by the river. If the beach is receeding not a good idea to buy.

8. shilpa123

shilpa123 Banned

It is wonderful to have a beach house as a property investment. I think it is one of the best way to take care of your property. I think it is quite awesome.

9. Profit5500

Profit5500 Senior Investor

Beach houses are great and they can work if you really put in your money into the right one. You would have to make sure that you do not go over the ocean LOL.

10. Peninha

Peninha Senior Investor

That would be a bad investment, but we are never safe of a natural disaster true, even in the big cities. I would invest in one for myself to start with! :D