Before I start..

Discussion in 'Stock Market Education' started by mcjonesqwe, Jul 21, 2014.

1. mcjonesqwe

mcjonesqwe Member

Hi,

I'm starting to get into this field more, and this important question came to me. How much time should I spend researching and learning the stock market and investing strategies before placing some money down or even finding a resource to invest with? I'm really new to investing and already plan on doing my homework first, but I was interested in hearing from more of a veteran how much time they actually put into this process before starting. I've already done some reading on this section of the forum, and some suggest reading about 5 books first, and others just one or two. Is that even enough? I plan to start small, but would really like to feel prepared before jumping into such a complex thing.

Thanks for the tips!

2. JR Ewing

JR Ewing Super Moderator Staff Member

It will come down to how long it will take before you feel comfortable picking your own investments if that's the route you're going to take. As for what I'd do personally, maybe at least 3 months if I had 40 hours a week to devote to it. Or 6 months or more if I could spend 20 hours a week learning and researching. Or even a year or more of steadily researching an hour or 2 or more a day if you're unsure.

It's YOUR money, so it's entirely up to you. You may be an incredible genius with nerves of steel who will suck up an inhuman amount of knowledge in a month.

Some fear is good and essential to staying in the game, no matter how long you've been doing it and how good you may be - just don't be paralyzed by it.

3. turt

turt Guest

The best practice is doing fantasy stock trading. You can make a fake portfolio and see if your strategy is successful or not.

4. dariel2323

dariel2323 Well-Known Member

You are starting well, wondering, looking for opinion of other users and investor, studied some books and more. You must start slowly, while continues studying. You can not to know the time that will make it, but we must begin.

5. hellonamesdana

hellonamesdana Member

This is such a great idea! I'm so young and I want to start investing the very small amount of money I have to my name, but I really don't want to screw it up and I don't really have anyone in my family who is good with money. Definitely something to look into!

6. xzreplay

xzreplay Member

This is such a great idea.I want to start investing the very small amount of money in to it. But I will give it a try, thanks.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 8, 2016