Belgium: Suicide terrorist bomber explodes 2 bombs at airport...

Discussion in 'The Cocktail Lounge' started by baudwalk, Mar 22, 2016.

1. JR Ewing

JR Ewing Super Moderator Staff Member

This is horrible. RIP to the victims, thoughts and prayers to their families.

Has Obama called it "workplace violence" yet, and blamed it on a lack of "gun safety" legislation? Or said that it was "completely random" and had "no connection to islam?"

2. rz3300

rz3300 Guest

Well how many is it going to take? I cannot believe that we have another attack, but then again yes I can, and now I can't believe that I can believe that another attack has happened. Now my head hurts. I turned on the news yesterday and was surprised I went the whole day without hearing about it, but that is probably just because of the nature of my work. It is sad, though, and it just seems like the politics that come from it really steal the show from the true loss of life.

3. Scooby Snack

Scooby Snack Well-Known Member

I'm quite interested in what the response of the media will continue to be as this unravels. I'm already seeing the predictable patterns of "ban all Muslims" from the far Right and victim-blaming on the far Left. What I doubt we will see, and what is of obvious importance right now, is a substantive discussion about the migration crisis in Europe as well as the reform of Islam. Many are predicting that this issue will only get worse.

On a side note, there was a commercial done not two months ago that was clearly made to dispel the notion that Molenbeek was a dangerous place, and obviously it garnered quite a bit of attention given the event of the last couple days.

The video has since been taken down.

4. crimsonghost747

crimsonghost747 Senior Investor

This is of course what certain politicians in Europe are talking about now. As always after these events there are those who are quick to claim that this has nothing to do with Islam, that these are completely individual cases and that we have nothing to worry about.

In more positive news, Poland has apparently completely stopped taking in refugees following these attacks. It is worthy to be noted that they had a pretty strict policy in the first place.

5. Alex

Alex Senior Investor

It's too late because the doors have been open for too long. Many of these martyrs and attacks have been planned for years, so they are just sitting in a quiet apartment somewhere waiting. I find the EU politicians inept in so many ways, they try to create more freedoms with no backup plans and this was always a consequence. Terrorist, murderers, and other criminals will always exploit these free border laws, the freedom of work laws only benefit the unskilled who can't find work anywhere. Those who are skilled can get visas and work permits in any case.

6. Rainman

Rainman Senior Investor

And there are those who will be converted and recruited for "suicide bombing missions." It doesn't matter whether European countries accept refugees anymore or not. The problem is radical Islam. We need more effective ways to combat it or else there'll be more bloodshed.

7. Scooby Snack

Scooby Snack Well-Known Member

The key weapon here is instilling doubt in devout believers. Making them question whether or not there is REALLY a paradise on the other side, whether or not Allah REALLY wants them to devastate the lives of so many others in his quest, and whether that is morally and ethically acceptable, is what is desperately needed. Bombing campaigns can kill potential terrorists, sure, but you can never eradicate IDEAS with weapons. Only thought, debate, education can do that.

The problem is that media in North America and Europe is so heavily skewed AWAY from serious criticizing of Islam that the vital and honest and frank questioning of the religion and its tenets is not only stifled, but dismissed as bigotry. And the terrorists KNOW this atmosphere exists.

I think in the future, looking back, those on the Left and Far Left will be seen as the ones who failed to protect the world from devastation due to their moral posturing and halo-polishing. They care more about not appearing to be, look, sound, or seem racist than about innocent people being torn apart by nail bombs and assault rifles. And it's repugnant.

8. artyarson

artyarson Active Member

As I've told you before, that seems to be never-ending, unfortunately. That also doesn't make any sense to me. People are losing their loved one just for no goddamn reason and it gets me all the time. I feel heartbroken for them all. So, we all have to appreciate the fact that we are still alive and well. More than anything else. Every tragedy like that is a reminder of it.

9. crimsonghost747

crimsonghost747 Senior Investor

It's never too late to try and fix things. Yes I know what you are saying and I do agree, there are a lot of terrorists just sitting around waiting for the time to blow something up. And some of them will be succesful. What we can do is prevent more from coming over as well as simply start deporting people who are known to have connections to terrorist groups.

We can't just sit back and go "ohh well it's too late" and do nothing.

10. Alex

Alex Senior Investor

Yes, and countries have been trying to do this for quite a while, but with home grown terrorists what can you do? It's more than an immigration or refugee issue, but a clash and hatred of western culture. The problem is knowing who is one and who isn't and with interviews in the aftermath, it appears family members that they have lived with had no idea either. Perhaps they were lying, or they really didn't notice the signs, or they did and chose to do nothing. If the people they live with don't know, how can the authorities?

The Belgian incident involved Belgian nationals who were born there.
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...an-brothers-accomplice-white-remains-run.html