Ben Carson suggests he might withdraw from GOP race; Romney to speak Thursday.

Discussion in 'Politics Discussion' started by baudwalk, Mar 2, 2016.

1. baudwalk

baudwalk Senior Investor

2. SteakTartare

SteakTartare Senior Investor

I just read a similar article. It appears to be a pretty safe bet he'll be out of the race this week or thereabouts. It isn't surprising considering his lackluster results. He's a good person and clearly loves his country, but it just isn't going to happen in this election cycle.

3. Alex

Alex Senior Investor

I saw a quote saying he cannot see a path to nomination, which means he is not going to continue. He says he won't be taking part in the Thursday debates. I take this to me he is suspending his campaign, but will he endorse anyone?

4. kgord

kgord Senior Investor

Well he is a good man, but not reay to be a President I don't think. He has his supporters, but I just don't know that he is part of the mainstream of the country. Evanagelicals are the people that really supported him. I just think that he should find something and a way to make a difference but I don't know that being President is it.

5. Corzhens

Corzhens Senior Investor

It seems that Carson's quitting is already out of the bag since a few days ago. His supporters obviously know it that he had lost all the chances to get near Trump. And speaking of Trump, what does Mitt Romney's case? And why the sudden hatred for Trump when the guy was doing great in the polls? I don't think Romney has a good enough case to dislodge Trump in the nomination for the Republican standard bearer owing to the huge support that Trump is presently getting from the GOP delegates.

6. SteakTartare

SteakTartare Senior Investor

That is a good question as to where his supports will go now. I'd imagine Cruz, though that is not a guarantee.

7. baudwalk

baudwalk Senior Investor

As his statement published in the link provided above, he will address his future on Friday at CPAC. My opinion only, but I wouldn't expect him to endorse anyone while the immature name-calling Animal House food fight continues with Trump, Cruz and Rubio. The Republicans need to remember the objective is to take the WH and Congress. The kiddie nonsense has to stop. But that's my view of things.

Last edited: Mar 2, 2016
  8. Rainman

Rainman Senior Investor

It was obvious from the very beginning that Carson would not get the GOP's nomination but for some reason he thought he could make it.

http://readersupportednews.org/opinion2/277-75/30058-focus-can-a-black-man-win-the-gop-nomination
    Those polls which showed him leading for a little while must have convinced him he had some support and he was waiting for a miracle to happen. One thing that's clear though is that he won't be endorsing Trump. In an interview on Sunday he said Trump would not win the nomination because voters "aren't dense enough" to make such a huge mistake.

9. pwarbi

pwarbi Senior Investor

If he is saying that he can't see a path to nomination, then basically that's just a long winded way of saying I'm not going to win, so I'm not going to play anymore.

The endorsement question is a tricky one though, and while if he was sensible bed get behind Cruz, I'm not sure that he wants to do that's.

10. Alex

Alex Senior Investor

Maybe the expected all black people to vote for him because he is 'black', but considering black voters in the Republican party are a minority that was a slim chance. Then perhaps they thought those who campaigned for racial equality would back him, yet again those people are thin on the ground in the Republican camp.

I am sure he is being advised by many, but maybe he should just take a back seat and not endorse anyone. Christie is not getting good press for his endorsement of Trump, so was he urged, manipulated, or something else we don't know of?