Ben Carson

Discussion in 'Politics Discussion' started by kgord, Aug 18, 2015.

1. norms options

norms options Well-Known Member

At this point, I think inexperienced in politics is definitely a quality I AM looking for in the next president. How well have the guys done who are experienced in politics??I don't think we have seen a good president since Reagan was in office, and he was a professional actor...hmmm....These guys that are career politicians only have their own best interest in mind and vote accordingly. They could care less what is best for us as citizens, which is the exact opposite of their job description. Representatives are supposed to represent our wishes, not lord over us as a king or a tyrant.

2. SteakTartare

SteakTartare Senior Investor

I won't speak for 111kg, but the fact Dr. Carson doesn't believe in evolution is curious in this day and age.

That said, I like him, and suspect his appeal right now is that he is outside of the political class. He's intelligent, well spoken, and I believe him to be a man of honor. I doubt he'll get the nomination though. Failing that, he'd make one darn good Surgeon General. :)

3. PipCurrencies

PipCurrencies Well-Known Member

I think (I'm guessing here) he just doesn't believe in evolution to the point that all life came from some single cell amoeba and formed everything appropriately. Seriously, it takes as much faith to believe that hypothesis as it does in an intelligent designer. But are we to really believe that a president's position on the origins of life is what is important here. If it is to you then God speed to you, but I'm more concerned with national security and the national debt which I have actually listen to him speak of.

4. SteakTartare

SteakTartare Senior Investor

I'm not entirely clear on this position either and I'm willing to give him the benefit of the doubt. He has, however, made numerous statements against established science on the topic include the quib that evolution is "incredible fairy tales". And we have a ton of genetic evidence on our last universal ancestor (LUA).

Um, no. We have unequivocally genetic evidence of common ancestry. We're still waiting on any evidence of a supernatural intelligent designer.

Agreed. I don't think it is a "make or break" situation. It is just odd that he would reject something so foundational to contemporary biology. Dr. Francis Collins, one of the greatest minds in the field of genetics, the director of the National Human Genome Research Institute (NHGRI), and a devout Bible-believing Christian that wrote the book The Language of God accepts the fact of evolutionary biology. He once said about the supposed "controversy" surrounding the topic:

"The shelves of many evangelicals are full of books that point out the flaws in evolution, discuss it only as a theory, and almost imply that there's a conspiracy here to avoid the fact that evolution is actually flawed. All of those books, unfortunately, are based upon conclusions that no reasonable biologist would now accept."
    —Dr. Francis Collins​

5. JR Ewing

JR Ewing Super Moderator Staff Member

I don't think Clinton will be a factor much longer. :D

I like Carson, but I don't think he's cut out for high-level politics. I would vote for him if he managed to get the nomination, but I don't think it's likely.