Ben Carson?

Discussion in 'Politics Discussion' started by AtlantaSports, Aug 31, 2015.

1. AtlantaSports

AtlantaSports Senior Investor

What do you guys think about him?

2. Kicker774

Kicker774 Well-Known Member

I'm not sure how he's a Republican ...

- Raised by a single Mother
    - Raised in public housing
    - Raised on food stamps
    - Welfare
    - Medicaid
    - Possibly benefited from affirmative action to get into Michigan where he used federal pell grants and a grant from the US Public Health Service to pay for it all

He is the epitome of everything Fox News rallies against on a nightly basis.
    Sure he pulled himself up by the bootstraps, but who provided him the bootstraps?

3. spaceboytaylor

spaceboytaylor Active Member

I have to agree with Kicker774. His political alignment does seem a bit strange from where he is coming from, but I guess I can't judge a person like that. I don't know a whole lot about him because I haven't done extensive research on the guy, but he seems like a decent candidate. Worlds better than Trump, who I was glad to see this morning being surpassed by Carson in some polls. So from what I know of him, out of the three most likely primary winners Trump, Bush, and Him, he does seem like the one I would prefer to be in office.

4. User911

User911 Well-Known Member

His mom worked night and day on her own and saw to it that her boys went to school, did their homework when they got home and spent most of their extra time at the library. There is nothing wrong with public assistance IF it is used properly to pull somebody out of poverty, which is exactly what happened to Dr. Carson. The man is a world-renowned neurosurgeon, he's absolutely brilliant and has worked VERY hard to accomplish all that he has.

Granted he does not have experience as a political leader, but....he is extremely intelligent and I'm sure he would surround himself with very intelligent people as well. He is one of my favorite candidates. He is a very classy guy, quite a statesman and given his rapid increase in the polls, I believe that his worthiness shines through on its own. I think he's got an excellent chance of becoming our next president. In fact, they say that all the people who are doing well in the polls are NOT politicians. People are sick to death of all the corruption and PC crap going on. I think the American people WANT a non-politician for our next president and they want our government cleaned up big time, from the top down.

5. kgord

kgord Senior Investor

I must confess I know little about him other than the fact he is a medical professional and not a career politician which makes him attractive to the masses. I am so sick of the "Trump Show" I would support anyone in the Republican party that was not him. Someone who could win would be nice. Due to the unpopularity of our current president however, I am finding it interesting that so many people appear to support Carson, but it is very early in the game!

6. gmckee1985

gmckee1985 Senior Investor

I think hes an outstanding human being. He seems to have all the right values. Seems to be an intelligent man with excellent character and morals. That being said he doesnt habe enough political experience to be president. Would like to see him serve in the cabinet of a GOP administration though.

7. Gloryontheway

Gloryontheway Guest

When I watched the movie Gifted Hands about the life of Dr. Carson, it was one of the best biographies that I have seen. This movie is based on the tough upbringing he had coming from a single parent home. The movie was so inspirational. Every single young person should watch this movie. His mother was a true angel and a gift from heaven. He was taught how you can do anything if you set your mind to it. His President platform is based on having faith in God and following the laws of a higher power. Dr. Carson feels the problems with America is not following the laws from the heavens above. He has never held a public office before, but he sure do know what he is talking about.

8. 111kg

111kg Guest

Offtopic: what does exactly affirmative action refers to? I've often heard this term, especially when in the discussions about the African American community, but I've never understood it right.

Anyway, I'm not an American, but I don't see why people would vote dr. Ben Carson. Yes, he may be or may have been one of the best doctors in this world, but this doesn't mean he is worthy to become the president of the greatest country in the world. Does he even have any political background?

9. Rainman

Rainman Senior Investor

Policies which sort of level out the playing ground so to say. African-Americans, since they are more likely to be discriminated against are given special privileges [they've got jobs reserved for them, can be admitted to college with lower grades, etc, etc]. It worked in the past but doesn't any more.

10. gmckee1985

gmckee1985 Senior Investor

No, he doesn't have any political experience. That's the main reason I don't support him. I think there's a real desire within the GOP to expand its appeal with non white voters. So people may be supporting Ben Carson a bit too soon. He needs more seasoning before hes ready for the presidential level.