Best stock market Apps?

Discussion in 'Stock Market Education' started by PTrader, Jul 16, 2014.

1. PTrader

PTrader Member

What is the best stocks app for iPad? I use my iPad to manage my finances on the go but I have yet to try managing my investments on it. I would love the flexibility of this, especially when I'm travelling.

I have heard that StockGuru is good but for $20 I wish I knew a little more about it. Does anyone have experience with it? Any other recommendations for iPad or iPhone apps that are good for keeping an eye on the market?

2. baudwalk

baudwalk Senior Investor

The best smartphone/tablet app for managing your brokerage and IRA accounts is the app supplied by the brokerage firm handling your accounts. Period, end of discussion.

Now, if you are asking about business, investment and market news akin to newspapers (WSJ and FT) and TV (Bloomberg, CNBC and Fox Business), that requires a different answer. Here's what I carry on my Android phone and Android tablet. All are free. In alphabetical order, apps are:

Bloomberg Business
    Reuters [see the Business section]
    Seeking Alpha
    Stock Chart
    Stocks [reads your Google Finance portfolios]
    StockTwits
    The Social Radio [reads out Twitter feed]
    Twitter (and Portfolio) [I follow certain accounts]

If I were using iOS, I would probably add the CNBC app but the Android version is a weak sister to the Apple version.

As an aside, the Bloomberg app let's me watch live TV and, late at night, view market futures from Asia and Europe and Middle East.

On the tablet with its 10" diagonal screen, obviously I can go to the full (mobile) web sites of anything else so long as it isn't cluttered with Flash or Silverlight web code not supported by Android or iOS.

Frankly, I rarely use a Wintel PC any more unless I am desperate or out of my mind. Too easy to do what I need to do on the phone or tablet.

HTH. YMMV.

3. crimsonghost747

crimsonghost747 Senior Investor

Only thing I use on my phone is smart stock. It's an easy and simple way to keep track of the daily movement of my stocks, for all more detailed things I prefer to use my laptop.

4. baudwalk

baudwalk Senior Investor

FWIW at first glance I can see differences between Smart Stock and Stocks, which I use, are: [1] User has to build separate portfolio and watch lists, whereas Stocks reads in one's Google portfolio holdings and prices automatically; and [2] Smart Stock runs continuously in background during market hours (read battery drain). If I'm looking for price alerts, I set those in my brokerage accounts to receive SMS text messages.

At first glance, the Bloomberg app appears to have more international market data.

Just food for thought, but then I don't drag around or use a laptop.

Frankly, I think a good discussion of market apps Is both interesting and useful. T'is a great way for me to find what I overlooked in the myriad of apps in the Play Store.

Tags: