Biden, Warren have impromptu Saturday meeting amid 2016 speculation

Discussion in 'Politics Discussion' started by baudwalk, Aug 23, 2015.

1. baudwalk

baudwalk Senior Investor

Err... seven years of growth? My understanding of the economic "recovery during Obama's tenure -- I use the term very loosely -- is anemic at best and possibly the slowest "recovery" in the last century. The upturn in employment numbers is belied by increased numbers of those giving up the job hunt and dropping out of the count. I'm no economist, but I look at the post-2008 years as just muddling along. Costs to employers for full-time employee health care and increased regulations -- think EPA to start with -- did and do not offer any incentives to grow a business, and the numbers of closed storefronts and empty malls is worrisome. Just my opinion...

2. SteakTartare

SteakTartare Senior Investor

^ This. We're not (technically) in a recession. However to call the last six years a "recovery" is being charitable. The labor market is still a mess, growth is anemic, government debt is at nightmare levels, those relying upon entitlements is unprecedented, and the markets are starting to slide. Call it what you will, but that is not a healthy economy any way you slice it.

3. baudwalk

baudwalk Senior Investor

I don't think I mentioned recession. That aside, whatever the measures you and I use, I think we agree on the state of the "recovery" and economy as a whole.

4. Rainman

Rainman Senior Investor

I'm guess that if Warren decides to back Biden his chances of winning an election increase significantly. She's got millions of votes [theoretically] which would give any candidate she endorses a huge advantage. Things are getting interesting in the Dems camp:

http://www.cnbc.com/2015/08/24/more-democrats-crack-open-door-for-biden-presidential-run.html
    More prominent Democrats on Sunday cracked open the door for Vice President Joe Biden to enter the race for the Democratic presidential nomination as party front-runner Hillary Clinton battled questions over her use of a private email server. California Governor Jerry Brown told NBC's Meet the Press program that, if he were Biden, he would give "very serious consideration" to a presidential run.

5. baudwalk

baudwalk Senior Investor

Some pundits are saying October 1 is a deadline for Biden to enter the fray. Not only is there a Democrat debate on the 13th, but early December primary filing deadlines require field workers, gathering of signatures and filing of petitions. All of this takes time to assemble. Meanwhile, Hillary says Biden should have the "space" to run if he wants to (sure...) and claims to still have WH support. Let the fun begin.

6. kgord

kgord Senior Investor

Well, the Dems need an alternative to Hillary but I am not sure Biden is the answer. Bernie Sanders is not going to be popular in Mid America. I don't think Biden would even be running if he hadn't promised his son he would do so. Well, that is the story anyway. It makes for good press. However, it may well be true, and he has always had ambtions.

7. mooray

mooray Well-Known Member

I think Bidden is the best shot the Democrats have mostly because the email scandal looks like it will destroy Clinton's campaign.

8. petesede

petesede Guest

You are looking at it from the right. The people who think the ´email´ thing is a scandal are people who were never going to vote for her anyway. Also, the Republicans did this too early... or basically Clinton turned over the email servers early enough that by the time the general election comes around, this will be a topic that people are sick of hearing about.

Friday afternoon is considered ´news dump day´ where people and companies release all their bad news because they know nobody will be paying attention over the weekend. August is very similar on a grander scale.. you do you bad things in August because most people are on vacation and nobody is really thinking about politics...which is why Clinton waited until now.

I am not saying this to be a jerk, but people do need to watch more than fox news to see what the country is really talking about. Fox can make this seem like the biggest scandal in the history of the world, and it is only going to get heard by people who were never going to vote for Hillary anyway. The rest of the country is just ´meh´ about it.

9. SteakTartare

SteakTartare Senior Investor

10. gmckee1985

gmckee1985 Senior Investor

The Democrats really need some new candidates. They are pretty bad this cycle. Can anyone see Bernie Sanders or Joe Biden winning a national election? I sure cant. Elizabeth Warren is a Marxist but sadly that seens to be where the energy is with the Democratic Party these days.