Biotech company PlasmaTech (Nasdaq: PTBI) gained 100% today

Discussion in 'Stock Market Forum' started by TipdOff, May 5, 2015.

1. TipdOff

TipdOff Well-Known Member

2. JR Ewing

JR Ewing Super Moderator Staff Member

Believe it or not, I actually bought a little of this last week on the 29th. I put it on my "watchlist" when it popped up a couple of weeks ago, and bought a small amount when I felt it had sold off a good bit.

I always keep an eye on the day to day market winners and losers, and I will often buy a promising stock after it's been beaten down. But when they gap open big, it's usually not a good idea to buy them that same day at such a high price. Best to wait days or longer usually.

3. JR Ewing

I bought a little more of this one Friday. I'll buy more if / when it cools off some more.

I also bought a little of this one Thursday and Friday after a big selloff Wednesday. I've owned it before: http://finance.yahoo.com/q?s=PBYI

4. Fredrick Jones

Fredrick Jones Well-Known Member

Tech companies are usually boom or bust. Taleeb recommends that you invest small amounts in each tech company that way your risk is spread out. If the tech company manages to pull something off then you will win big. Sometimes the tech company might make an accidental discovery in an area they where not researching so the patents or copywrites they create will be worth alot. If that is the case the tech company might get bought out just for these patents.

5. JR Ewing

I often use put / call spreads on many of the more speculative biotechs. I will buy small long stock positions on some such as these as well.

It goes without saying that these types of investments / speculation should be limited to a pretty small part of one's portfolio, and that it's better to spread that capital out among a number of them.

I mentioned buying Intercept Pharma late last year when it sold off too hard after a quarterly earnings report. I bought in the low 170's, and it's been above $300 lately. I've owned this one before, and bought a little more today, in fact.

6. JR Ewing

Re PBYI, I bought a little at ~ $45, $40, and $36 this morning.